Simulated surround on TV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jim Williams, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I originally asked this in the display devices forum but I got no replies so I will ask it here. If this is double posting, I apologize.

If I have the simulated surround turned on for my TV, will it adversely affect the way it sounds when I have the sound going through my receiver using Dolby Pro Logic or Neo:6? When using DPL or Neo:6 should I have the simulated surround turned off on the TV?

2. AndrewKC

AndrewKC Agent

I would guess that it could affect the sound quality, but the best thing to do is to try and see if you like it. And if you do, great. If not, just don't use it.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

If the TV is the stereo source for your receiver, it needs to be the original, unreprocessed stereo for you to get correct processing of DPL or DTS:Neo from your receiver. Both DPL and Neo need the correct phase relationships to send to each speaker what belongs with each speaker. By using a modified signal, you could see wierd things happen such as the center channel dialog coming from the left or the rear surrounds...

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

From my experience, this was one of the best things I did for my receiver w/ Logic 7. Cartoons, action movies and music really shines when using the Stereo Expand, or Simulated surround. Your surround speakers come alive, and I also noticed that if you have a rear center channel set up it works too. Some people think if it's not the way it's attended to be listened to, then anything else is not correct. It's subjective, to me I enjoy it. Never went back to basic DPL, and I really enjoy those movies that are not on DVD yet via the vcr and great surround sound using Stereo expander and logic 7. Go for it, if you have the latest Michael Jackson CD, Break of Dawn is the closest to discrete multi channel music you can get.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jim, FYI: When you want a thread relocated ask one of the moderators. Please don't duplicate posts. Thanks. JB