What's new

Simpsons Themed Discs?!?! (1 Viewer)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
An odd new Simpsons DVD release entitled "The Simpsons Music Themes" is currently in the works, according to the DVD Times webpage. Although this DVD looks like a Region 2 release (which means North Americans couldn't view it unless they somehow had the right equipment), nothing can be confirmed as of yet. Here's what the DVD Times had to say:
"...We now have exclusive information on the next Simpsons DVD release. We don't have a date or price, but we can confirm that it will be The Simpsons Music Themes. It will feature four episodes from the series along with an extra montage of clips called "Otto's Finest Moments". The episodes in question are:
The Tale of Two Springfield's (featuring The Who)
New Kids On the Blecch (featuring Nsync)
Homerpaloozer (featuring The Smashing Pumpkins)
The Otto Show (featuring Spinal Tap)
Of course technically we can expect a 4:3 transfer and Dolby Pro-Logic sound. To top this, we will soon have our hands on a copy of this disc so a review will appear on the site soon..."
That was from www.nohomers.net If this is true this is truly puzzling. Why is fox going to release a themed discs of The Simpsons. If anyone has heard anything else I am all ears.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, R4 has had (or is coming out with soon) Simpsons themed discs. Also remember, FOX Home Entertainment in America has no control of what goes on in R2, R4, etc. I don't think we will get Simpsons themed discs here anytime soon (this is FOX were talking about) as the Season 1 boxset did well enough that we could see future seasons on DVD (Season 2 boxset should be out in May).

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Doesn't surprise me much. Themed releases were common with the Simpsons on VHS here in the UK. A good number were released and proved very popular.

I'm still in favour of season by season, but if this is true, pending what later season eps may be on such themed discs, I could easily give in to such purchases. Indeed, that line ep of episodes is tempting!

Dan (UK)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I didn't read over the part about region 2 only well enough. Just you never know. I should have remembered that Fox wont do this to us.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I would not think R2 would be getting this as replacement for season by season released. I actually have a feeling R2 will get such themed releases (if true) in addition to future season box sets.

With that in mind, I'm not sure if it's worthy of argument for R1 too, because you're looking at eps on the themed releases that are years and years off in future season sets which is why I kind of welcome the idea. 99% of my DVDs are Region 1, but little things like this from time to time make me give in to R2.

Dan (UK)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
While I support season by season boxed sets, and will always continue to buy them that way....I would also purchase a "Halloween" themed Simpsons disc. Of course, if there were no season boxed sets, an only the theme discs, then I would't bother.

Sam E. Torres

Second Unit
if they released themed discs here, i don't think it's anything to go home and bite your pillow about. i mean, it's just wiping the drool off our faces so we don't have to wait 5 years for those episodes on dvd...i'm sure if fox started releasing themed dvds, they would also release the entire seasons...

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and Fox is 100% unwaivering on the OAR issue. :rolleyes:
Don't get into the themed disc trap. They may stop doing seasonal boxed sets.
Dan

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few themed Simpsons discs come out over here, since not everyone's a big enough fan to want to pay for a whole season, but I'm sure there are many who would want some of their favorites on a low-priced single disc. It makes good sense.

Likewise, in addition to the TNG season boxes, I'm sure we'll eventually see a "Borg box" or a "Best of Q" collection, like was done on VHS and laser.

Face it, Fox has made enough money off the season boxes they're unlikely to stop them, but they'd be crazy to not exploit another possible moneymaker.

Ryan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I think Fox know better then to suddenly stop on season sets, Dan. Indeed, here they've offered up a couple of DVD specials of X-Files episodes from the latest seasons in the UK whilst still releasing the season by season sets.

Dan (UK)

Jakob_S

Stunt Coordinator
You can read a PRE-view from one of the themed Simpsons-DVDs here... Looks like the quality isn't as good as the season 1-box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks