What's new

Simpsons....THE WORST! this time for real! (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
A while ago I started a thread after I saw a terrible episode of the Simposns. I told administrators to remove it because it was getting out of hand. However, after tonight's episode, I think enough is enough. I didn't laugh at all! Either come out with the good episodes or stop wasting our time with junky episodes.

Wow, who else watched this atrocity of an episode?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I will be watching this episode in two and a half hours. I will update my post then.
I've been a die hard Simpsons fan ever since the show came on. I love the show and it is the best animated series of all time, but this season has been mostly miss. Out of all the episodes so far this season, there were only three good ones (Homer on pot, Homer with jaw surgery, and the Homer/Milhouse love triangle episode where they go to Canada). I hope to god that the next few episodes and next season are an improvement over this season. IMO, they should just end the show now and not fuck over the fans by making sub-par episodes. Years ago, you could say that a bad Simpsons episode was better than most shows on television, but you cannot say that this season. :frowning:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, well, well, more insipid rhetoric posing as criticism.

For one thing, I thought the dot-com jabs, however late, were delightfully on target, the Stan Lee guest appearance well-done, and the whole episode pretty much head and shoulders over last week's clip show, which, hopefully, will never be repeated.

For another thing, the show is thirteen years old, and if this season is, in my mind, better than the middling 12th season, they're doing something right.

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
I laughed my ass off!!! My suggestion....quit watching! You seem to keep complaining about the shows getting worse and worse, yet you keep watching. Seems to me that you just like to complain. Go watch something else and I guarantee you'll be begging for a show as "bad" as the Simpsons! :D

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
It seems every other episode leaves me with an awkward feeling. To back up my criticism, Here are the some awkward moments that left me like "huh, whu?"...

1) Stan Lee jamming the The Thing in the Batmobile, and the geek saying "now my batmobile is broken, then Stan Lee "no it's better" huh?

2) Mr. Van Houten being the assistant to putting the flyers on the car, and he said he did it once but he screwed it up...the delivery was poor, and the idea was weak.

3) Marge bouncing the quarter on the bed was out of place and trite

4) The dogs puking in each other's mouths...huh?

5) Stan Lee trying to turn into the Incredible Hulk...give it up buddy, you made the joke the first time then beat it to death

6) "I'm a ragaholic and i need ragahol" whu?

7) Moe getting in Homer's car and crashing it and it catching on fire. WHAT THE??

8) Pulling the copper wire out of the wall.

9) The horse traquilizers part was okay, but the delivery was off and the scene was out of place

10) Sitting in the fishing boat at the end "You'r ein love with a boy" huh? dumb.

Some funny parts:

1) Homer punching the cat

2) "Hi Bart, I'm from the Internet"

3) Shamus and Willie

4) Homer catching on fire out of no where

But after watching Simpsons for years, I know how hilarious it can be. I love the Simpsons, and I'll keep watching, but if the weird scenes outweigh the funny parts, what's the use in watching?

Chris Wittry

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck,
Just to reply to a few of your posted "huh, whu" moments:
1. Batman - not a Stan Lee comic, The Thing - a Stan Lee comic, thus it would be better (in Stan's opinion) if the kid played with The Thing, rather than Batman.
(edit: see this feature on Stan Lee to see where he's coming from.
2. Mr. Van Houten is always being portrayed as a loser, and what could be more loserish than being an assitant to a person who puts flyers on cars and then screwing it up?
3. It has been shown time and again that Marge is anal retentive and what anal retentive person doesn't bounce quarters off of a freshly made bed?
4. I would guess that they showed dogs puking because of the whole "super dog" theme to the cartoon - ok, so it was a little disgusting.
6. Generally Homer would be seen as an alocholic, and alcohloics are addicted to alcohol, so it would make gramatical sense that ragaholics are addicted to ragahol.
8. If you've ever worked at a high tech company, you'll find that techies (myself included) seem to collect anything and everything that we get our hands on, and I know that given the chance, I'd pull copper (network) wiring out of the wall and put it to use in my home. :D
10. Have you ever seen young kids argue? Bart is using classic kid lines, such as "If you love it so much, why don't you marry it." These lines should be kind of weird and out of place, because that's how most kids argue.
I love the Simpsons, and I'll keep watching, but if the weird scenes outweigh the funny parts, what's the use in watching?
Again I'd have to suggest that if you're just going to bash the majority of the new episodes, you should skip watching the new ones and just watch the ones that are reruns from seasons you liked.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Pulling the copper wire out of the wall.
Maybe some reference to Denis Leary's character from Jesus' Son? What's great about The Simpsons is the obscure references to pop culture. It great if you don't get them but it provides some entertainment in the form of these references in between "Doh!"s. :D

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Chris, good analysis, however I was turned off by the poor drawn-out delivery of some of the scenes I mentioned.

That's no fun! How can we have this discussion if we can't analyze the bad ones too?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I definitely enjoyed this one, and the Batman and Green Lantern joke was the best. I was waiting for Stan Lee to say "Excelsior!", but "'nuff said" was a close second.

The "cartoon cameos" were a clever dig at Disney animators who put "Mickeys" in their movies all the time. This was also standard operating prrocedure in vintage Warner Brothers cartoons.

I don't look for logic in the Simspons anymore. They made that point many years ago.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
10) Sitting in the fishing boat at the end "You'r ein love with a boy" huh? dumb.
I thought (in light of the recent Mirkin / Child Consenual Sex book being potentially published) it was pretty funny.

I thought the whole ep had better inside references then normal lately. And the .com bit was right on with places I have worked.

Ike

Screenwriter
Chuck,

It seems like the jokes aren't made for your sense of humour. (The car catching on fire, Ragahol)

The dogs puking was a bit of satire on lowbrow cartoons...you know. If you don't catch a lot of the jokes, I don't see how you can trash the episode as the worst.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
oh I got the satire (most at least)...

of course I know Stan Lee did the Thing in the fab 4.

of course I knew about the green lantern and

of course I got the ragahol joke. Thanks to everyone for pointing out the stuff I didn't get, esp. the copper wire. I know all about the .com revolution and the subsequent bust, but I didn't know about the frantic efforts to salvage what was left! In retrospect, the episode wasn't that bad. "Bartoon" now that was pretty funny. Oh, and the bullies critiquing the comic and punching martin in the arm "where's your cast?...what cast...punch" I was also laughing at "Sarah Jessica Barker and Molly Ringworm" Anyway, I am gonna stand by and say that some of the scenes urked me, esp. Moe getting in the car. In the recent past, I've been urked by similar scenes that aren't reminiscent of classic episodes. For example, in the episode where Homer watches Moe's bar, he cuts himself real bad on the jukebox and blood was just splashing out. gross. stupid.

Listen boys, I understand Matt Groenig's Republican, satirical humor and I love it. I guess I was off on this one.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The episode was mostly miss with a few hits. Homer getting angry is always worth a laugh, but the Stan Lee gag got old fairly quickly. Another thing I noticed that it felt some of the jokes would've been funnier if the episode was ran a few months ago instead of now (such as the dot coms going out of business, the satire on lowbrow cartoons (it's sad that The Simpsons has to take shots at shows like South Park, especially when last season of South Park has been superior to the past season or two of The Simpsons), and so on). Overall, it was a decent episode.

Ike

Screenwriter
esp. Moe getting in the car. In the recent past, I've been urked by similar scenes that aren't reminiscent of classic episodes
That's a running joke. Stuff often blows up in The Simpsons that shouldn't. So, it is reminiscent of the classic episodes.

So, if you can come from "It's The Worst Episode Ever, and I mean it this time too!" to "It's not that bad..." maybe you should just let the episodes sink in before judging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks