What's new

Simpsons Season Six On August 16th (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

So I was right before? The interior digipak fits inside in the replacement box and you have the extra head? That's what I always assumed but then reading the quote John posted, I must have misunderstood it too and thought I was wrong about the digipak going side the box. I'm so confused:)

Either way, the set rules so I'm indifferent to the Homer head or the replacement box. To me, it's the just the plastic/cardboard thing that the discs came in.

John*D

Second Unit

The problem isn't with the look of the packaging, but with the QUALITY. The yellow plastic of the HEAD is cheap, NOT sturdy (a la ST: ENTERPRISE).

Then there are the trays that hold the discs. The only thing holding the trays together is a piece of Scotch tape, which some people have already said has come loose/ripped so that the trays are loose and not connected anymore.

FOX didn't put a lot of care and attention into designing this packaging!

I need a break...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
It's better than the head at least, but one of the worst things about the box set was the disc holder--I'd be surprised if the glue held for much longer. I know a lot of peoples' have already broken apart.

I would have really preferred a fold-out; at least that won't fall apart.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
john i agree with just about everything you have pointed out on this package.

i just get this image of your face turning purple and you jumping up and down yelling "why" repeatedly.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Now I feel like ordering a Region 2 DVD for the first time ever. Does anyone know if the content on the Region 2 Simpsons DVDs is any different from the content on the Region 1 DVDs? Are their cuts from episodes or anything?

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't worry about the content of the discs if you decide to import another region's version of the set. Why you ask? Because it should still be a four disc set. When the new set arrives, remove the other region discs and place your R1 discs in the digipak along with the booklet from R1. Then put all the R2 stuff in the Homer Head and set it aside somewhere. There you go. Original style packaging without having to buy a region-free player. The only question would be, which region do you order from? We know what the UK packages look like, what about the other regions?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure these types of threads are what give studio execs, the "Man! These people are going to complain no matter WHAT we do, so why should we listen to them" attitudes.

I mean, I'm all for getting what we expect, but there is a point where you need to compromise with any given business. The effort on Fox's part (while not what we would have completely liked) is a great gesture on their behalf.

When you don't give a little, you end up hurting yourself more in the end.

And for those who think Fox should have replaced the Homer head with the EXACT packaging from past seasons, I argue that the packaging would not be cost effective to give away for free, so FOX would have to charge us for it...

Then I'd have to end up reading people bitching:
"WTF? Now Fox is making me PAY for the original box?"
"I'm not buying this set if I have to spend twice as much to get the original box"
etc.

"No win" situations are usually created when one side doesn't allow the other side to EVER win ;)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Daniel. I know they apparently tested this with people, but not well enough; 99% of the people I've discussed it with hate the head box.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I haven't bought this yet, but it does look horrendously cheap on the store shelves. I wonder if that's what they were going for? Seriously, people don't need anything to stand out on the shevles by this point. If they've purchased the first five seasons, they're probably already going into the store specifically looking for the 6th set when the times comes.

Too bad because the previous releases were some of the first yet still classiest-looking digipaks on the market.

The Simpsons right now has fallen so far on my buying priorities list that a cheap plastic head wasn't going to be its saving grace. The market is just too saturated right now.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's still a one sided argument. You are only allowing the studio to do things your way or else you're going to bitch. That doesn't make any situation win-win.

John*D

Second Unit

I don't buy that...

Considering the HEAD is a limited release in R2, and a box possibly the old style digipak is the normal packaging.

They should have given R1 a choice when in the store or online, but they didn't!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But R2 is a completely different country than R1.

Americans are all about "Flashy" and new things. We get bored with the same ol' same ol'. That's why things are marketed differently here than in other countries.

The Homer head package is what America is all about...it's what we all asked for*. We (Americans) are to blame for this kind of "flashy" item.

* I realize we didn't actually ask for the change in packaging, but I was generalizing as to the way we purchase things. Our spending habits are what determined the non-original packaging in the R1 market. So to those who say they aren't going to buy the Homer head because of the package change (to make a statement), I say "your statment is futile" because there are WAY TOO many other factors involved in the decision to go with the head package.

JamesED

Second Unit
I did pay for the original style packaging. I only bought the set because I had heard in advance about getting the different packaging. They obviously hadn't spent my money on the Homer head, since it's a flimsy piece of crap.

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
Someone needs to make a DVD cover for a standard 4-disc DVD case with the R2 artwork. That would look better and be more durable than what Fox is providing. I wish dvdcoverart.com was still operating.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Do we know for a fact that R2 gets packaging that differs from R1? I see on Amazon.co.uk that one has the option of purchasing the Homer Head version or the box version. My guess is that the inner case with the trays will be identical either way, and the same as R1 got.

What I got in the mail from Fox CS was not exactly what I expected either, but I can live with it I guess.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator

They are. Its called dvdcoverart.org and its a billion times better then the original cause all the covers are free.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

I'm wondering about this too. Is there a designated place on the forum where UK users can talk about the UK Simpsons Season Six set when it comes out? I'm asking because I'm not sure if that would be discussed here, or in the "other region DVDs" section.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just received the set (finally). It's the Homer head and I must say [ducks, keeps asbestos suit handy]

... I LIKE IT A LOT. So does my wife. Ha, ha, ha! Great fun to own such a thing, great fun too to put it on a shelf (wait a minute, it cannot stand by itself, oh well, I'll find some way).

Sorry guys, but I personally do hope they think up some other packages like this for the next series. The world can use some sparkling.

I agree they should give you a choice, so we can decide for ourselves what we get (within the limits of the limited availability .. you know what I mean :) ).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks