Simpsons Season 8: Issues

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarkHastings, Sep 2, 2006.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I'm experiencing some strange interlacing issues and just wanted to see if anyone else has the same problems.

The interlacing seems to be reversed. I see the interlacing lines when a lot of movement happens. These are definitely "Field" issues. You can also see it along the right hand edge of the screen.

First off, none of my other sets do this. I have a new SONY DVD and have connected it through HDMI to the SONY LCD TV. I haven't checked the discs in my other players yet though...

Also, the other issue I ran into is the animators feature on disc 1. It appears that the overlay drawings that the animators do, was recreated in the subtitle track. I know this because the drawings don't appear if you search through the feature.

Anyways, the feature moves along fine, but once the drawings start, the disc stutters and has problems playing. I assumed this must be an issue with the player trying to keep up with the subtitle track. I know subtitle tracks can't be that complicated and shouldn't have a lot of movement, so I assume this is a matter of 'choking' the throughput of the player?

Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced these issues. They aren't bad enough for me to stop watching, but they are a bit concerning.

2. Sean D.

Sean D. Agent

I don't have this problem you might have a defected set.

3. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    No problem for me either.

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I had this problem with ALL of the Simpsons season sets that had this feature. This particluar problem is not caused by a defective set.

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Same here. I tried this feature on 4 players: 3 stand-alones (2 cheapies and a not so cheap Pioneer) and a DVD-ROM drive. The DVD-ROM drive was the only one that played it correctly! On what players do Fox test these discs??

Note: The "A Bit from the Animators" segments on discs 2-4 play fine because on these the drawing is actually part of the image and not generated via subtitles.

I don't remember having the problems on seasons 5-7, but definitely on season 4. (Maybe 5-7 didn't use subtitles either).

And for what it's worth: the video commentaries on the original Ghostbusters and the original Men in Black DVDs, which use the subtitle stream in the exact same way, play flawlessly on any player I tried them on.

6. MarkHastings

I've only had the new DVD player for a little while now, but I just tried it in my old DVD player and it worked fine...

Well, that still doesn't mean it's the new player - the old DVD player is hooked up via Component cables, so perhaps this issue has to do with the HDMI interface on the new player? I'm too lazy to hook up the new player via component right now, but someday I'll see what happens if I do that - Well, at least I know I can watch the segment on my other TV, but still.....[​IMG]

Also, even on the old player, I still see the interlacing issue. It's especially noticable when playing the "A Bit from the Animators" segment. As the writing is drawn on, you can see the interlacing lines as it draws on.

So I can't imagine there's an issue with the discs, it's just an incompatibility issue with some players.They probably don't. [​IMG]

7. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Are you talking about when the animators pause and/or rewind the dvd they're watching?

8. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    No. The animators only pause/rewind on discs 2-4, where they comment on (and draw over) a finished portion of an episode. This is (obviously) not a glitch and plays fine, since the doodling is part of the video and not generated via subtitles.

Mark's s talking about the feature on disc 1! In this feature, the animators comment on an animatic "Treehouse of Horror". They do not pause and rewind, but it pauses and stutters even though it shouldn't.

Incidentally, you also have the option of watching this animatic without the visual commentary, and even though the subtitle stream is not displayed in that case, the DVD still pauses and stutters.

9. MarkHastings

No, it's definitely some wierd glitch because the same material plays fine on my older DVD player. It's just the one that's hooked up through the HDMI cable that has the problems. Maybe the HDMI cable is choking on the subtitled animations?

10. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I don't think it has anything to do with HDMI. My DVD player is hooked up to my standard definition TV via an s-video cable, and I also had the same problem.

11. MarkHastings

Hmmm, then I wonder what the difference between my older player and my new player is?

My old player is a Panasonic DVD recorder and the new one is a SONY HDMI player.

I just hooked the new SONY up via S-Video and it does the same thing, so yes, definitely not the HDMI issue...I'm beginning to think it's the player...

Well, to pull the TV out of the equation, I just hooked the SONY player up to the same TV that my old player was hooked up to (i.e. the player that played the disc properly) and it still had problems.

So I think it's safe to say that the player is having problems. I'm still boggled as to why the new player is having problems and the old one isn't... [​IMG]

12. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Okay, this isn't a technical question, but I couldn't find any other Simpsons Season 8 DVD threads after searching the archives, so I'm asking it here. Does anyone know why Dave Thomas impersonated a "contest winner" who won a chance to do commentary on a Simpsons DVD during the commentary track for "Mountain of Madness"?

This seemed very strange to me when I first heard the commentary for "Mountain of Madness", because during this commentary there seems to be an awkward moment when Dave (as the "contest winner") insults John Swartzwelder. A few minutes after the other commentators explain that Swartzwelder doesn't do commentaries, he suggests that Swartzwelder "has no social life".

When he says this, everyone is silent for a few seconds, as if unsure of how to react to this "contest winner" insulting one of their most beloved writers. I later read online that Dave Thomas was only pretending to be someone else. Does anyone know what the point of all that was? I find it all very weird and mindboggling.

13. MarkHastings

LMAO! I didn't realize it was Dave, but I remember thinking "Man that guy sounds like Dave Thomas"! [​IMG]

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Dave Thomas is listed in the booklet as a commentator. Why? Got me. [​IMG] Maybe they were recording the commentary for Thomas' episode on the same day and he decided to stick around for another episode and have some fun.

I do like the idea of a fan being in on a commentary though. The only problem is that they'd end with the Comic Book Guy-style fan that spent 22 minutes telling them what's wrong with the show. Or a Chris Farley SNL skit-style fan that said "Remember when you did The Simpsons? That was awesome."