Simpsons Season 8 (bad news for Canadians)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Alex-A, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

I searched for a thread regardinhg season 8, but came up with nothing, so apologies if one actually exists.

I just got home from buying my new TV purchases this week. One was Simpsons Season 8. Here's the bad news: Fox has done away with the slipcover method for making the packaging bilingual. SO instead of the US DVD with a biligual slipcover which you can remove, the packaging itself is now bilingual. Now I'll be forced to order a US set, or somehow obtain the US version of the complete packaging to keep the spines matching on my shelf. Oy.

No offense to any French Canadians or French people in general, but I absolutely hate this bilingual stuff.

2. JoePassmore

JoePassmore Stunt Coordinator

This is getting to be re-goddamn-diculous. Seriously, what was wrong with the slip cover? It wouldn't surprise me if pretty soon, the only way to get ANY english on the packaging is to mail away for it....

Morons.

3. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Now does this pertain to the standard packaging or the 'Maggie head' packaging.......or both? I intend on picking up the Maggie head.

4. Daniel-M

Daniel-M Second Unit

isn't french-caandians a huge minority, like 20% french/80% english or something. it's seems unfair.

5. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein

Well, the time to complain about something being unfair is BEFORE you sign a contract, not AFTER.

"Hey, do you want to join our country? We'll give you all this stuff in exchange."

"Okay."

scribble scribble scribble

"um, well, uh, now that we've had time to think about it, uh, wow, did we really just agree to that, uh, boy, whew, uh..."

6. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I saw them both at an HMV downtown......both are bilingual. There's no escaping them I'm afraid. Although I no longer collect the Simpsons, it bothers me because it could mean bilingual covers for other shows that I might want later on. [​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

AMEN! The same thing is going to happen in the US.

When did the day come when a 36 year old, white, English speaking, American male, feels like such a minority? [​IMG]

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I posted on the Film Forum about this issue a few days ago.

What is suddenly happening here?

There seems to be a HUGE shift in direction from companies like FOX and WARNER BROS especially with regards to their Canadian product and it's very disheartening and making it difficult for me as a buyer to support their otherwise great releases.

I'd like to know what motivated this sudden shift. It never used to be nearly THIS bad.

9. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Marco, like I said in your thread, it's not just DVD's...here in the US, ALL products are becoming bi-lingual, but here, it's Spanish/English. It's frustrating to say the least.

10. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Guys, there's an easy solution for this; buy from the US. The difference in the US/CAN$ is small now, and the SRPs don't always reflect this. Fox is the worst for having a big difference between the two countries, and it's often cheaper ordering it from the US.

The Maggie head is $30 US, or $56 Canadian (using Amazon.com and Amazon.ca). Converting the currencies makes the $30 set $33.50 CAN - a MASSIVE difference. You could easily order the set from the US, pay the shipping charges, and still come out ahead. Buy 1 or 2 other sets in the same order and you'll save even more money.

So what is Fox telling us to do? Support the US economy - get it cheaper, and French-free!

Gord

11. JonathanBB

JonathanBB Stunt Coordinator

I also hate the french lettering on the packaging. I don't mind if the complete series has it, but I hate when they switch half way through. I'll be ordering my Simpsons set from Amazon.com

12. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Or, the other option is just not to care about the box. At this point, as long as the content on the discs isn't affected, I've given up caring what languages are on the package [​IMG]

As for ordering from the states, it's a great idea in theory, but the problem is the shipping charges and customs. Usually shipping is pretty expensive, but the savings tend to offset the cost. The problem is when you get dinged for taxes at the border, complete with the handling fees that accompany them. You can sometimes get lucky with these charges, but other times they can be really high. I've gotten stuck with $35 brokerage fees from UPS before...

13. Gord Lacey

Another reason to use Amazon. I recently ordered some DVDs from them and I didn't pay GST at the border, and didn't get charged for customs. You pay more for the shipping, but you can spread the cost out if you order more than one set. I don't have the packaging anymore, but I seem to recall they shipped it from inside Canada. I wanted to get the latest Harry Potter from the US to avoid the French packaging that Warner introduced in Canada.

I'm not planning on placing another order for awhile, but I'll take note of the procedure next time I do. I know I saved a bunch of money with this last order (especially since I had a gift certificate). It's worth doing a test with a set like the Simpsons since you'll save money, and avoid the French packaging.

Oh, also be on the lookout for [IMPORT] listings at Amazon.ca - those are US copies (and often have a cheaper price than the CAN version).

Gord

14. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Order from Amazon.com. I have yet to be charged anything extra for importing through them.

NEVER ship UPS on small stuff or you will pay. I even had them send me an invoice ($.80 to mail) to collect $.08 in taxes... yes 8 cents! Of course by the time they added their collection fee it was $5.08.

15. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Thanks, I'll have to remember that the next time I want to buy a bunch of TV discs. I picked up the Simpsons at Future Shop yesterday for $39.99, so it's not a terrible deal. A quick check on another set I was waiting to pick up (Oz Season 5) shows that after the conversion, it'd be about $12 cheaper before shipping.

I don't remember being charged GST or anything from amazon.com the one time I ordered from them, but that was about five years ago, before .ca existed. Either way, it's good to hear that they have the shipping thing straight.

16. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

Thankfully the Warner Brothers TV shows on DVD in Canada seem to have been left alone. I found Animaniacs in Canada without the packaging altered to be bilingual. "Batman: The Animated Series" was also not "tainted" by this packaging menace. [​IMG]

17. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

18. Gord Lacey

Jeff, I had something similar happen and I called them up, bitched them out, told them it was a load of BS, explained to them that Canada Customs waives the GST on $20 and under, and they got rid of the charges for me. You'd think their accounting department would have a better grasp on things like this. UPS is my least-favorite shipping company to deal with [​IMG]

Gord