What's new

Simpsons Season 6 alternate box revealed (1 Viewer)

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for posting this twice, (moderator can you delete the other post or delete this one & fix the subject on the other, thanks)

from tvshowsondvd.com (thank you again Gord)

At the time The Simpsons - The Complete 6th Season shipped out, that allowed folks who didn't like the new-style "Homer's Head" box to upgrade (or is Tons of people took Fox up on that offer, and the studio started to ship out those boxes within the past couple of weeks. They are showing up at people's homes, now, and several of our readers have been sending in shots or scans of the new box. Many of these were with camera phones, and hard to see, but thanks to one of our readers, Travis Walter, we got some pretty clear shots of the new package. We took those and turned them into the collage you see below.

Let us briefly explain how this works, and to do that let's take you inside the original package. Before the "Homer's Head" version shipped, TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey of his review copy of Season 6, and if you go look at those real quick, I'll direct you to the second shot. In it, the plastic cover is opened and swung down on the bottom hinge, and you can see the cardboard insides with Homer's mouth all taped up. You would remove that (which is what actually holds the DVDs) from the plastic shell, and then you can take that shell and put it in the closet, throw it away, eBay it, or whatever. The cardboard part with Homer's mouth taped up will then be slid down into the new slipcover from the top, as you can see below. You first have to take the slipcover, which is shipped to you flattened, and assemble it using the instructions included. Be careful about the bottom; we're told by readers that it is hard to get it folded together correctly, and can tear.

We hope you enjoy this look at the alternate box, which has a "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" theme and a cut-out in the magnifying glass which is designed to show Homer's eye when the DVD case has been inserted. On the back is a shot of the mortally wounded Mr. Burns laying on the town's large sundial, and Police Chief Wiggum's head shot shares the spine with that of Burns. Thanks to all the readers who took the time to send in shots; we're sorry that we couldn't use everybody's!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Wow, the outer box fits so well with Homer's head, it is like the planned this far in advance.

Paul

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

In the future please provide a link to the site, don't copy/paste the entire article.

Gord

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
When I heard that Fox was going to do a replacement (was it Fox) I thought it was to replace the entire homer's head with a completely refurnished shell box. Instead, they only created a shell that you "slip" the homer head into?

I love the Simpsons and all, but from the pics I just saw at TV Shows on DVD, the box does look kind of cheesy, although I love the cover art for it ...

MarkBirds

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine yesterday, too, and I think it's great. It was easy to fold, and it looks nice in my DVD rack with the previous seasons.

As for the box itself, the magnifying glass cutout looks cool, and if you flip the disc holder over before inserting it into the sleeve, there's a sort of spoiler, intentional or not, for the "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" episode. I got a kick out of it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Haden

Supporting Actor
Hopefully they keep this up for seasons 7-10 since those also use the ugly head packaging. Just wish they'd save us a lot of trouble by releasing this outer packaging in retail instead of making us go through four more potential mail-in offers.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Just wondering, I do not want to rip up my set for the proof of purchase and I do not want to give my reciept. Is there anyway to get the box if I just send the $2.95?

Ryan

MattHR

Screenwriter

Yes, you can use the insert that was included with the set announcing the replacement box offer as proof-of-purchase.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Thanks Matt.

I think I am just going to try and keep my set "whole" and not do the insert, as it would pain me to much to loose anything. Maybe I'll send a picture of the receipt, the insert, the set, and the proof of purchase with me giving the thumbs up. :emoji_thumbsup: It could work. :)

Ryan

James D

Second Unit
RyanAn-there should be a little slip inside the box that tells you about the alternative packaging and lists a phone number to call. It is not the main insert that lists the episode capsules. I've heard that some sets omitted this slip, so maybe you were unlucky and got one of these sets.:frowning:

MattHR

Screenwriter

Ryan, wouldn't you rather have the new box cover instead of the insert flyer? To me, it's a small sacrifice. But I totally understand how one's anal-retentiveness can get the best of them when it comes to dvds. :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is there anyone who has received their confimation that the alternate box was shipped who has still not yet received it? I got my confirmation about 2 weeks ago and still have not seen it show up

I am in the same boat as you, I got the e-mail about 2 weeks ago also and I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. I really hope it shows up because I don't think they would sent me another one. Even if I know who to ask.

John*D

Second Unit
They cashed my check, but no email. Sent the payment in about 1.5 weeks after the set was originally released.

Have NOT received the box.

:angry:

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Email sent 2 weeks ago; no box yet (not that I'm really looking forward to it anymore--when I sent the check I was expecting that since they said it would be the same as the old boxes it would be, you know, the same).

Evan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
For what it's worth, the alternative box showed up at my home address even though the address on the envelope was my work address!!! I work not far from home and I have the same letter carrier at both places, but when I asked him about this, he wasn't sure how that could happen. :)

It took sometime between the e-mail being sent and the alternative package showing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks