Simpsons Season 2 Now 8/6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_S, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Matthew_S

Matthew_S Second Unit

This according to dvdfile...Does anyone know why such a long gap between releases? I know this has been discussed, I was just wondering if there was an official word on why these are taking so long to come out...

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Matthew,

You beat me to the post!

This sucks! For me, Season 1 is so un-Simpson-like (due to the voices and character drawings), that it's unwatchable. So, I've been waiting with baited breath for Season 2 to arrive to watch some real Simpsons episodes. But alas, it'll be a while longer. Doh!!!

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I don't begin to understand the delay. From Matt Groening's statements it seemed that several seasons were ready to be pressed and he was sure he'd run out of things to say on the commentary tracks. I don't understand why there is such a delay if they were indeed ready long ago. I'll be happy when I finally get it though.

4. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I thought I'd revive this thread just to confirm that "The Simpsons" Season Two is definitely finally on its way - no delays this time. I say this because my copy arrived today! (Woo-hoo for me!) I'm sure Ron and others will post reviews soon, but I just wanted to let folks know that the 8/6 release looks REAL!!!

5. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

Colin, could you check the episode, The Way We Was, the one that looks back to when Homer and Marge first met. It has Jon Lovitz doing the voice of Artie Ziff.

It's the first real time that a Simpsons episode contained pieces of music that had to be licensed for the show. The songs are:

"Close To You" by The Carpenters

"The Joker" by The Steve Miller Band

"Pick Up the Pieces" by The Average White Band

"Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Baby" by Barry White

"Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John

"Do the Hustle" by Van McCoy

Maybe you could let us know if they've had to change anything for these DVD's or are they intact. Thanks.

6. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

The wait between these sets is absolutely ridiculous. Won't it be a year between sets? At this rate it's gonna be 2004-2005 before we get to the meat of the series. For god's sake, Star Trek Next Generation seasons are being released every 2 months.

7. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Happy to check! (I'm SUCH a great guy![​IMG]
    And the result is... they're intactamundo, as the Fonz would say! I'd have been shocked if this situation differed...

8. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

10. Garry I

Garry I Stunt Coordinator

quote:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I certainly hope they accelerate the releases after this, otherwise we are going to be on a different format by the time Season 5 comes around.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I wouldn't mind if they CONTINUED releasing them on HD-DVD if that is possible[​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

I hate to break this to you, guys, but we are supposed to get Season 2 on 8th July (with the same features as R1, down to the Butterfinger adverts - Butterfingers aren't to the best of my knowledge available in the UK).

12. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

That's a relief considering just how many songs have been used over the years. I guess they made a special deal with each of the artists to keep the fees down.
    Thanks for checking, Colin. [​IMG]

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I wouldn't be suprised at all if the delay stems from music issues.

14. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Keep in mind that seasons one, two, and three were animated by Klasky-Csupo, who also worked on the Tracey Ullman shorts. Subsequent seasons have been animated by Film Roman. Klasky-Csupo's animation, though endearing, I find to be somewhat quirky.

I'm with all of you in that the frequency of Simpsons releases on DVD ought to pick up soon. The Simpsons have 12 seasons under their belt with no end in sight and only two seasons on DVD, while The X-Files have concluded (on tv) with nine seasons and five on DVD.

edit: spelling of Tracey should be with an 'e'

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Anyone know if they've added more of the Tracy shorts to the Season 2 DVD? One per season wouldn't be horrible, but to not have them on DVD at all would be worse.

16. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

No, there are no Ullman shorts and there almost certainly won't be on any of the other future Simpsons season releases either. If they could have put all the shorts on Season 1, they would have. It doesn't really make much sense to put them on later seasons anyway, as the extras should involve things that happened during that particular season.