Simpsons Road Rage Xbox - worth $30 sale price?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Outpost.com has this game on sale for $29.99. Is the game worth buying at this price? I've read that it's slightly better than Cel Damage, which I somewhat enjoyed on the OXM demo disc.
    Does anyone have this game & what are your thoughts?
    Thanks in advance,
    -Dan B

2. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

I've got it for the Xbox and it's a pretty fun game (particularly in two-player mode). Basically it's the Simpsons meets Crazy Taxi. It won't blow you away by any stretch of the imagination, but it's enjoyable, particularly if you're a Simpsons fan (all of the show's vocal talent is in the game). I hear the load times on the PS2 version are pretty heinous though.

3. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious about this game as well. There are versions for PS2, Xbox and GameCube. I'm wondering if there is a difference in content between the three of them? Also, which one is the best?

4. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

I paid $50 for the game and while it isn't the best game I've ever played, it's a lot of fun and I'm glad I bought it. It's exactly like Crazy Taxi so if you already have that game and are tired of it this isn't for you. However, if you don't have the other game and you are a big Simpson's fan, check this one out (especially at this price!) There's a lot of great stuff in there...little references and what-not that are catering to the fans.

I haven't heard of any significant differences between the three versions, other than the Gamecube version loads a little faster.

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's Crazy Taxi with the Simpsons characters bolted on.

I wasn't too impressed with it - the backgrounds & environments seem low poly & badly designed, the maps aren't particularly well designed, and the characters aren't great looking. The voice acting is superb though & the one liners are very funny...

The loading times on the PS2 are horrible.

It's okayyyy. I'd play Crazy Taxi over it though (and I'm a big Simpsons fan).

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Interesting...."Crazy Taxi" never did a thing for me, but I can't put down "Road Rage"...
    The XBox version is definitely worth $30, IMHO. [​IMG]

7. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I wouldnt play this game again if you paid me to.(well...depends on how much). This is just a really lame Crazy Taxi rip off with the simpsons attached to it. The graphics are substandard, the gameplay boring, and course layout bad. Crazy Taxi was fast, fun, ORIGINAL(unlike most everything EA puts out, way to go SEGA!) and had HUGE well laid out cities to drive in.
    Here's a good quote off the subject, yet on it as well.You will see a significant pipeline of content which delivers on time, on target, great innovation in videogames that is wildly successful. I'm struggling a little bit in proving that to you because we haven't announced the vast majority of our games after E3 yet deliberately. I don't want EA to know what our content lineup is for next fall. I really don't need them to know that and it doesn't harm Sega today by not telling you what they are.
    IGNcube: True, other than making us very anxious.
    Charles Bellfield: Yea, and I'm sorry about that slightly, but with a hardware platform under our belt we had to show to the consumers that there was a forward lineup of content that needed to reassure you to buy the system. We no longer have that role so we don't have to tell you. Every platform company is desperately asking us to announce our lineup but we're saying no at this point because there's no benefit to us. I'll sell platforms, but what I don't want to see is a continuation of the rip-off games by other publishers that rip-off our technology and I don't need to say "Simpsons" at all. And even cel-shading is a concept being ripped off by other publishers as well. That's why Sega doesn't need to be quite so advanced in its announcements.
    the site for this interview is at http://cube.ign.com/news/40067.html