What's new

Simpson's disc # 3 issues (1 Viewer)

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Just picked up the boxed set today. As I was looking at the disc's, I notice "little spots" on the bottom of disc 3. I popped it in my Toshiba 3109 and it loaded up. The single episode on the disc seems to work but the outakes and extras lock up the player. I put it my DVDROM and it seemed to work better, but it still locked up. Same with the PS2. Did anyone else get one like this?

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
It doesn't take a "Bart Simpson" to figure that one out. :) I took my copy back and got a new one. And guess what? I got another bad copy. I guess I am going to have to exchange it later this month when good shipment arrives.

George Glenn

Auditioning
Same problem here. I have a Toshiba SD-6200 and the third disk locked up on the outtakes; after much pixilation. I also noticed that that the movement of the animation caused weird jagged edges, like thick horizontal scan lines around the edges of the movement. Maybe that's a problem with my television though (Sony XBR 400.)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Do these spots look kinda like bubbles under the substrate?
I got my copy at Deepdiscount.
Where did 'yall get yours? Surely the bad batch has a geographic significance.
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.
[Edited last by Scott Strang on September 25, 2001 at 07:51 PM]

George Glenn

Auditioning
Got mine at Electronic Boutique in Cleveland OH. As far as disc imperfections, to my untrained eye the disc does not look out of the ordinary. But then again I'm not really sure what to look for.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah they are "bubbles". My first thought was that the disc had a bad case a acne. I got it at Best Buy in Costa Mesa, CA. The only good thing about waiting for a new shipment to come in is I still have time to watch the first 2 discs. :)
[Edited last by Eric Alderson on September 25, 2001 at 08:21 PM]

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I also got my copy at Best Buy. My 3rd disc has circular swirly patterns on it, and I was worried that I got a bad disc. But I tested out the outtakes and they were fine. Guess I lucked out.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My R1 copy [price 17.99; cost in Brit local store of R2 edition released on same day: 34.99] had bubbles, but on the label side. Seems to play fine.

Glennica

Agent
My disc 3 has bubbles too. I got it from Deep Discount DVD.
I put in this disc first so that I could watch the extras. What a disappointment!

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I tried my 3rd disc yesterday after reading this post. Sure enough the out takes and other extras pixelated and locked up.
Of all the dvd's I've purchased this is only the 2nd time I've had this happen. The other defective disc was Men in Black.
Wal-Mart exchanged the MIB dvd even though it was purchased from an e-tailer. Maybe they'll exchange my Simpsons assuming they carry it.
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to say that I've run all 3 discs in my Panasonic A120 with no problems. Note that I haven't run each all the way through. I've watched one episode per disc (Bart The General, Krusty Gets Busted, and Some Enchanted Evening) with no problems. On Disc 3 we watched the outtakes from S.E.E. and also watched the Tracy Ullman shorts. No problems there, either.
No appearance of bubbles anywhere on any of the discs.
So, there ARE good sets out there. I hope this helps,
Edit: By-the-way, I got my copy at FYE (used to be Camelot Music) for $22.99, if anyone's analyzing for "bad batches".
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 27, 2001 at 05:29 AM]

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Seems to be a pattern here with this pressing of the Simpsons 1st season...
My 3rd disc also appears to have the swirls and circles on the underside of the disc. Fortunately, it plays just fine on my players.
Perhaps the flaw is on a specific batch of discs made and some players just can't quite handle the swirls while others seem to handle it okay?

NateM

Agent
Well I don't seem to have any bubbles on my discs but, the second to last eposide on my disc two exhibits horrible pixilation and lockups. Every other episode on the disc plays fine. Guess I'll be taking my disc back this weekend.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I preordered mine from DDD and if I have this problem it's going to suck. I suppose I'll just ask for a refund and buy a copy of this at Best Buy. THe only problem is the price will more than likely go up to $40.
John

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I'm with David Lambert: my disc 3 looks just fine (no bubbles, no oddities) and plays perfectly.
For the record, I got my set through DVD Empire. Not a plug, just wondering if anyone else got a bad set from the same vendor. (Remember the mispressed Toy Story box sets, where the bad discs all went to one store?)
doug
------------------
"How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
pretty good explanation..."
--James Woods, on The Simpsons

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I got my copy from Deep Discount DVD the other day and Disc 3 has no bubbles or swirling at all and the disc plays fine.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks