Simpsons cast on Inside the Actor's Studio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

The voices behind the Simpsons' characters will be on the show tonight.

~T

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Details?

Time? Channel or Station?

Thanks!! [​IMG]

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Its on Bravo, 10pm mountain time.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

What a great episode! [​IMG]

It was great to see the actors having some fun with their character voices, but I was hoping for a little more Q&A at the end.

And it was kinda weird how Julie Kavner vanished halfway through...

Still, a whole lot of fun, especially considering the Simpsons freak that I am.

5. Brian Ralph

Brian Ralph Stunt Coordinator

I was actually really disappointed with the show. It was interesting seeing the faces behind the voices, but it was really the Q&A I was interested in. I think we only saw like three questions??? The in-character interviews were neat, but too long.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As entertaining as the episode was, it marks a new low in the steady decline of Inside the Actors Studio. When the show started, Lipton would conduct an actual interview, in which the subject was encouraged to talk about how he or she works to create characters, to interact with a director and other actors, etc. It may be that Lipton still asks those questions, but the responses are usually edited out in favor of the variety-show antics that were the primary focus of The Simpsons interview.

Any one of the six people being interviewed would have been worth listening to for a full hour on how he or she creates characters using voicework only. It would have been particularly intersting to hear people like Shearer, Kavner and Azaria talk about the difference between their regular acting work and their voice work. Instead, by putting them all together on the same stage, Lipton created a great broadcasting stunt but virtually guaranteed that the show wouldn't be able to cover what he still claims is its focus: the craft of acting.

It reminded me of when Lipton interviewed Kevin Spacey a few years ago. The bulk of the televised interview was Spacey doing impressions. Funny, yes, but I would have preferred to hear him talk about how he created John Doe, Verbal Kint, Lester Burnham or Jack Vincennes.

M.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Maby this is just a 'teaser'. Something they know everyone would love to see, before having all the cast seperatly. Either way, I thought it was a hoot.

Now tell me again why Fox dosn't put this stuff on the DVD's, because they are worried about distorting the 'magic' of the show by having the actors do the voices on film?

[​IMG]

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I watched some of it but turned it off. I wanted to see the actors do their characters more. They kept cutting to clips of the show and played them way too long.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It was good, but I wanted more.

10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Except for the occasional two-hour show (Myers, Steven Spielberg, Robin Williams), all of the episodes of Inside the Actor's Studio are heavily edited to get a 50-minute show out of what I believe is a 2-hour live session. Often they'll use excerpts in a teaser promo that don't even make the final cut of the show by the time it airs. I assume Lipton makes the editing decisions, since he pretty much controls the show.

M.

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

We need the Simpsons one on DVD, all two hours worth [​IMG]. This is a classic [​IMG].