Simpsons and the WTC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LarryDavenport, Sep 24, 2001.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

TV Guide reported today "A classic rerun of The Simpsons in which the family visits the Twin Towers has been pulled from syndication."
    I hope it will still be on the box set when it comes out.
    ------------------
    These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    That was one of my favorite episodes.. Where Homer goes up the top of one of the towers and then has to go to the bathroom and finds out it's in the upper floor of the other tower... AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh
    Or the the choice between Mountain Dew and Krab "Kalash"...
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

3. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

I just watched this yesterday (Simpsons is one of the few reasons I still use my VCR) from one of my tapes. I was wondering whether or not it would be pulled, but hoped that in the 3-5 years that elapsed before it became time to put on DVD that they would feel ok to include it at that time. Considering that Fox does not want to edit/pull Fight Club, I doubt they would pull this episode. Granted, I don't think they would air Fight Club right now, but ...
    1 more day.
    ------------------
    Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

This was also one of my favorites. I can see why they would pull it -temporarily anyways.
    I really hope the box sets will be "uncut".I remember on the Bobo The Bear episode (another in my top 10) theres a scene where Smithers hires some engineers to make Burns a giant mechanical bear and the bear goes bezerk slicing people up,Smithers breaks a chair over the bears back and it goes crashing through a wall-I saw this scene on the night it premiered (it was hysterical)and has been cut from all the reruns-I guess people complained.
    I PRAY it is put back in for the eventual box set.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

5. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

quote: I remember on the Bobo The Bear episode (another in my top 10) theres a scene where Smithers hires some engineers to make Burns a giant mechanical bear and the bear goes bezerk slicing people up,Smithers breaks a chair over the bears back and it goes crashing through a wall-I saw this scene on the night it premiered (it was hysterical)and has been cut from all the reruns-I guess people complained.[/quote]
    You mean this bear? [​IMG] (Images courtesy of The Definitive Frink: http://www.internerd.com/frinky/
    [​IMG]
    Nah, people didn't complain. It was cut for time constraints, like 90% of all the old episodes. I'm pretty positive the box set episodes will all be uncut.
    About the WTC: Sigh...am I the only one who thinks not showing the WTC in TV and movies is even more insensitive than showing them? As somebody said in another thread, we can't pretend it was never there! If they showed that episode today I'd laugh just as hard as I did when I first saw it. That may sound insensitive, but I can't see why it'd be pulled from syndication; in the scheme of things, the WTC gag was a brief joke.
    Oh well, I can't get too angry; after all, I've got the New York episode on tape. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 24, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Kevin Leonard

Well said Michael, but alas, I disagree:

8. Michael Reuben

We may disagree, Kevin, but at least now we're discussing a real issue (how to move forward and get back to "normal") instead of a fake one ("why are they trying to pretend that the WTC didn't exist?"). The latter is a strawman that has nothing to do with the issues that broadcasters and filmmakers are facing at the moment.
    I can only reiterate what I've said elsewhere: If somone had just lost a family member to a violent, sudden death, you wouldn't want or expect to have the deceased summarily excised from the family photo album. But you also wouldn't walk up to grieving family members and abruptly shove a picture of their lost loved one in front of their face. That's the dilemma that the entertainment industry is wrestling with, and they'll undoubtedly make mistakes. Ultimately, though, the dilemma will be resolved by time. I guarantee you that Simpsons episode will become available again at some future date.
    These are tricky judgment calls, and I don't claim to have all the answers. The only thing that offends me is when people refuse to acknowledge that there's even a legitimate question about whether entertainment should be avoiding images of the WTC for now. I can't help but observe that most of the people militantly advocating a "testament" to the WTC are people who don't happen to live here.
    M.

9. Kevin Leonard

Fair enough Michael. We have differing viewpoints and I think it's nice this didn't turn into a series of name-calling and petty shots. And I'd be a fool to pretend that my living in California has nothing to do with my opinion on this subject.
    But the reason why I got so pissed is because from the article I read on this (not from TV Guide, but from Variety), it sounded like the New York episode was being pulled permanently. I doubt that will happen, but stranger things have happened.
    However, I will say you missed a choice Simpsons reference with your reply. From the mouth of everybody's favorite religion-loving neighbor Ned Flanders:
    "Well, I guess this is a case where we'll have to agree to disagree." [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

10. andrew markworthy

A small but significant proportion of people will be experiencing post-traumatic stress following the events at the WTC (and let's also not forget the Pentagon and Pittsburgh). To show *anything* directly pertinent to the events of Sept 11th at the moment could be very detrimental to the healing process. Now of course the majority of the public need to be kept informed of factual information through the news, but people with PTSD can avoid that if they wish. However, if references to the WTC etc start creeping into other programs, they become much harder to avoid. Accordingly, putting a *temporary* ban on such programs makes sense. I don't think that altering TV schedules is all that big a price to pay if it helps people get better, do you?
    I don't think anyone's saying all references to WTC et al are going to be permanently banned (if they were, then yes, I agree, that would be ridiculous). However, a little sensitivity for a couple of months is all that's being asked for.
    [Edited last by andrew markworthy on September 25, 2001 at 02:07 AM]

11. Kevin Leonard

No offense Andrew, but over here in the US, avoiding references to the WTC or terrorism is easier said than done. The WTC is everywhere: on the television news, on the internet, in the newspapers, in old movies, old shows, on the radio, in magazines...even in your e-mail. Way over here on the West Coast, it's still front-page news.
    To be honest, I don't see how an episode of The Simpsons that features a slight (but memorable) WTC gag is as harmful to one's well-being than a news station showing slo-mo footage of the planes crashing into the WTC while "emotional" music plays in the background.
    quote: I don't think anyone's saying all references to WTC et al are going to be permanently banned (if they were, then yes, I agree, that would be ridiculous). However, a little sensitivity for a couple of months is all that's being asked for.[/quote]
    Of course. But if the "Variety" article hadn't given me the impression that they were permanently pulling the offending Simpsons episode, I probably wouldn't have responded at all.
    Granted, this is probably a case of much ado about nothing, but when the "Variety" article says this:
    quote: Twentieth Television has pulled from syndication a classic episode of "The Simpsons" in which the toon family visits the Big Apple -- and the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.[/quote]
    And they don't mention the words "temporarily" or "indefinitely" like the other shows mentioned, then I start to get suspicious.
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...&categoryid=14
    (That's the link to the full article in case anyone wants to read it.)
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Kevin Leonard on September 25, 2001 at 03:03 AM]

12. Michael Reuben

13. andrew markworthy

Kevin, it's still in all our media as well (apart from anything else, it's the biggest loss of life Brits have ever suffered in a terrorist attack; about 10 per cent of the victims are probably UK nationals). My point is that a PTSD sufferer can actively avoid news broadcasts, papers and magazines. However, if they switch on the TV for some light relief and then find images of the WTC, etc, when theyweren't expected, it can have a (literally) traumatic effect. I know this sounds OTT, but trust me, it's not (I should perhaps come clean and say that I'm a psychologist and spend some of my time working with people with PTSD). Nobody (least of all folks with PTSD, it should be stressed) would surely want permanent censorship, but in the immediate aftermath, keeping references to an event to *predictable sources* can greatly help.

14. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I mentioned this episode being pulled to my wife yesterday, who had friends/coworkers on the first plane that hit the building. Her reaction?
    "Well, that's stupid. I love that episode."
    ------------------
    Chris Beveridge
    Webmaster, www.animeondvd.com
    Animation and stories for those who like to think outside of the Disney box

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    On Monday the dear old BBC replaced a Simpsons episode 'Two Bad Neighbors' that had George Bush senior in it with another oldie, hmmmm.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Better not watch the commercials, cause this morning I saw a commercial in the NYC area advertising the "NY Waterways" which I think runs the ferries in and out of manhatten to certain locations and there's some prominent shots of the skyline with the WTC smack dab in the center... Either it was misssed by the censors (I doubt it) or they are selectively editing out certain ones while completely ignoring others which kind of highlights the awkwardness of this whole "to edit or not to edit" thing.
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

17. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

It looks like "Homer vs. NYC" isn't the only episode being pulled from syndication.
    From The Simpsons Sourcebook :

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

19. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I think there was a missile that blew up a building that housed Mad Magazine or something.
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

20. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

They do blow up the mad Magazine building (which I don't rally believe there is one) and the ensuing rubble looks almost too similar. They do show the people who were in the building as being ok.
    Another episode that may have a problem, at least for now is the one where Lisa fears she is getting stupid and she is watching TV with Bart and Homer. They are watching a FOX special "When Buildings Collapse. They show several buildings collapsing and Bart and Homer laughing. Lisa says 'There wsere probably people in there." Homer (laughing) "Yeah"