Simpsons - 3/28/04 "Wandering Juvie"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by MarkHastings, Mar 29, 2004.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Lately it seems like the only funny parts to the newest Simpsons have been the opening 10 minutes (before they get into the REAL story). [​IMG]

Homer trapped on Costington's escalator:
    "SO Many Shoppers! Damn this resilient Economy!!!" [​IMG]

And keeping up with the "out-dated" jokes over the past 3 episodes, I submit Barts line: "Why did you kiss me? Are you lookin' to do the Bartman" [​IMG]

2. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I liked it. It had an actual story and emotional content, however slight. And a real ending instead of a wacky violent chase.

Some good jokes too; I liked Homer's "so in a way... I'm a victim too" and, of course, the use of "Family Guy" as an insult. [​IMG]

King of the Hill was also good last night (my sister, who doesn't usually watch that show, watched it with me and laughed, mostly at the complete insanity of Cotton). Kahn and Minh getting turned on by pretending to be Hank and Peggy was both funny and disturbing.

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I really didn't find the episode funny at all. I only watched it because I couldn't find anything else on that I wanted to watch. The only part I liked was Cletus and his wood carvings.

4. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

I enjoyed it, but that's just me.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I bust out laughing with Cletus and his wood carvings. The one that floored me was when he said "I can carve the future too" and shows Wiggims a carving of him getting mauled by a bear.

Overall a fair show, nothing great.

Paul

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew

A sad example of the show's downhill spiral; they have to resort to insults. People only familiar with episodes over the past, say, two years, would be surprised that this show actually won a Peabody Award.

Any more Family Guy-bashing from this decrepit show and I may just say "sayonara" to 742 Evergreen Terrace for good.

And was anyone else offended when the woman in the [spit] Simon Cowell [/spit] episode said "[An IQ of 167 is] not bad for a Christian"? And I'm Jewish!

7. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams

What did they do now? I mean, they basically stole the concept of an episode (Death is a Bitch) scene by scene, and they have the nerve to insult Family Guy?

To quote Ralph Kramden, you, Matt Groaning, are a bum. [​IMG]

8. WillG

WillG Producer

That was not the first Family Guy crack the Simpsons have done. Also in the DVD commentaries, there are some unflattering references to Family Guy. The Simpsons are not the only ones either. In the "Clerks" animated series, they made a joke about Seth McFarlane and also in the commentary for that on the DVD, Kevin Smith called Family Guy awful. What does staff for other animated shows seem to hate "Family Guy?" Do they just feel threatened by it because it's a very funny animated show?

9. MarkHastings

Will, If I were Seth, I'd be glad that they were talking about my show on the Simpsons commentary rather than the Simpsons episode. [​IMG]

Also, I think all the shots Family Guy takes on everyone else, people feel it's ok to take shots back (even if they weren't necessarily being poked fun of).

10. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    I know they have insulted FG in the past, but what was the crack in this particular episode?

11. Jaime_Weinman

1. The exchange of insults was something like:
    Gina: Mama's boy!
    Bart: Future skank!
    Gina: Family Guy!

2. It's not Matt Groening who does the Family Guy cracks (Matt Groening has never been the showrunner of The Simpsons); it's probably Al Jean, the longtime Simpsons showrunner and the creator of "The Critic." He's said on numerous occasions that he thinks "Family Guy" is not very good (I agree with him, but that's neither here nor there), that FG did things that he had already done on The Simpsons and The Critic, and he has made this point on the show and on the DVD commentaries in various ways.

3. I get the impression that Family Guy is not very well respected on the "inside." One experienced animator has called it the worst show he ever worked on ("And I've worked on some real stinkers!"), citing what he called lazy pop-culture references, boring characters, inexpressive animation and producers and directors who were completely clueless. I doubt anyone feels "threatened" by it, since most of the insults date from before FG was revived (in other words, when it was just another cancelled show). They just genuinely think it wasn't good.

4. The Simpsons and Family Guy were both ripping off the same sources for their "Death" sequences. (FG did it first, and it's certainly fair to scold The Simpsons for doing something FG had already done, but it's not the same thing as directly ripping off FG, any more than FG was ripping off The Simpsons when they parodied a movie that The Simpsons had already parodied.)

12. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

This discussion reminds me of the great South Park episode, "The Simpsons already did it." I love Family Guy but I have to admit that it is probably the most unoriginal of all the recent cartoons of the past decade. It is a blantant reincarnation of The Simpsons. Peter Griffin is nothing more than Homer Simpson on crack. I think the Simpsons have deserved the right to poke fun at Family Guy, a show that cracks on everyone itself.

To add my own opinion, when I watch these cartoons, I want to not only laugh but also see a story. The plotlines for Family Guy are extremely weak compared to The Simpsons, South Park, and Futurama. I consider those three to be far superior to Family Guy even though I may not laugh as much. Family Guy is catered to people with short attention spans, which is sad considering that episodes are only 23 minutes long at the most. Just my opinion. I do love all these shows and I can't wait for the return of Family Guy. I just wish Futurama would get another chance too.

13. Jaime_Weinman

If I could head this off... I think there should be an unofficial ban on any discussion of whether Family Guy is a Simpsons ripoff or whether Peter is a Homer ripoff (or whether Stewie is a "Pinky and the Brain" ripoff, for that matter). It turns into endless arguments and convinces no one on either side. Because ultimately, it doesn't even matter. A character may start as a copy of another character yet turn into something different and unique -- for example, Hank Hill of King of the Hill is clearly based on Mr. Anderson from Beavis and Butt-Head (Mike Judge borrowing from himself), yet he has become a character all his own. My problem with Family Guy has to do with the story and character development, not with who copied what. If I thought Family Guy was funny, I wouldn't give a damn that the Simpsons already did some of these things. But there is nothing necessarily wrong with starting off with a similar format or similar characters to The Simpsons. It's where you go from there that counts. Remember, the moral of the South Park "Simpsons Already Did It" episode was that The Simpsons have been on so long that they've done everything, so you shouldn't worry about doing something they've already done.

To get back to The Simpsons, I'm surprised that a lot of people don't know the source of the "Yeeeessss?" Guy who turns up a lot. He's based on Frank Nelson from the Jack Benny show, who played various shopkeepers and clerks, always greeted Jack with an unctuous "Yeeeesss?" and insulted Jack in that crazy voice of his. I like that The Simpsons has incorporated a tribute to (or ripoff of, if you prefer) classic comedy.

14. MarkHastings

I thought he was on I Love Lucy?

15. WillG

WillG Producer

Exactly, I don't care who ripped off what. I like Family Guy because I think it ia a funny show. The Simpsons actually did an episode where the message was basically that most forms of entertainment is ripped off from something that came before it (The Chester Lampwick Episode). Such as, The Flintstones is just an animated version of the Honeymooners that is set in the Stone Age.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Funny, this reminds me of a Simpsons episode. Gabbo the marionette was exciting, spontaneous and funny, something the Krusty the Clown show used to be, and people (Bart, mainly) resented it.

I keep finding the jokes in these new episodes funnier by themselves than in the context of the episodes themselves.

17. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams
    I agree Jaime. But for the record, I think that Family Guy is funnier, but the Simpsons used to have heart and storytelling. Now, its just as soulless as FG. (I'm a fan of FG and all, but you gotta admit that.)

18. MarkHastings

Just to add here, I like Family Guy because for the exact reason why people hate it. Sometimes I just like to sit down and watch something that is just "stupid" funny. The kind of show where I don't have to think or worry about emotion. If I want story lines (or "heart") I'll watch something else, but if I just want to laugh, I'll watch FG.

Family Guy reminds me of the Naked Gun movies (i.e. the Zucker Bros.) where stupid stuff happens just for the sake of a laugh.I still think they do, the problem I see is that the jokes aren't as funny, which makes the story telling (and heart) seem weak.

19. MattGentry

MattGentry Second Unit

I still like The Simpsons. That's all.

From what I've been hearing lately, a lot of people are having trouble with them using out-dated jokes. So what? Where is there a law written that every joke has to be made about current and up-to-date things?

20. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Where did FG steal the "Father becomes Death" idea from?