Simpsons 03/21/2004

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Andrew Bunk, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet. I thought this episode was hilarious. The Galaxy Wars stuff was pitch perfect. Although between this episode which is obviously directed at Phantom Menace and the Contact spoof in last week's couch gag, it makes me wonder if they're pulling out old ideas for this season. Either way great episode. Hadn't seen the bonus episode before either-was that from earlier this season?

2. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Cosmic Wars

that's it, it's official. the Simpsons has finally jumped the shark. I am too much of a fan to admit this last year, but now even I have to admit. This show was horrible.

DUI?
    blaming his wife for the DUI?

this is low, even for Homer.
    not funny at all.

Jim Jam?

and the bit about Moe selling, and then looking up the value of that wine?
    puhleeze.

The rerun was first aired Nov 30/03. one of the bright spots of this season, I think. Hope next week's episode is MUCH better....

3. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Well, put me in the catagory that thought it was funny.

I loved the cosmic wars stuff, Lisa talking about how they needed to get the political stuff out of the way before the cool stuff I thought was dead on.

My favorite quote though comes from Barney when he said: "This place is great, they cured me 5 times."

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Fox - A Division of Orange Julius
    [​IMG]

Rob

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    This is the second episode in a row that is way late with the parody -- I'm all for making fun of Lucas and Jar-Jar, but jeez -- Ep 1 came out almost 5 years ago. Last week was Enron.

Either they're running out of things to base episodes on or they're planning these things out too far in advance.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That was the funniest thing this season.

The Star Wars stuff was cute, but old hack by now, and the rest was corny.

7. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    New episode was pretty good, if a bit outdated.

Forgot about Bart's great line from the repeat: "I'm gonna pour caramel all over my clothes, then finally I can eat my shorts!"[​IMG]

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree this would have played much better in the '99/2000 season. Sort of out of the blue.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Not quite topical- but spot on and relentless. Another brick trying to convince Lucas he's a freak = good thing in my book.

-V

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Yeah, it's almost as if they were hurting for scripts and pulled out some scripts that were written years ago. [​IMG]

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Actually, and I'm not sure this has anything to do with anything, but looking at epguides.com, I see that last weeks episode with Arty Ziff was written by Dan Castelenetta and his wife.

He's actually written a few episodes since season 12 or so which I think is kind of cool.

12. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

They've done that in the past. According to one of the DVD commentary tracks, the episode where Homer eats the "insanity pepper" an has to find his soulmate was a rejected script from the second season.

13. WillG

WillG Producer

Well that just says it all doesn't it? What was once not good enough is now good enough in these cases. I always thought that Chili pepper episode was on the weak side.

I liked in this past episode when Bart says "If you don't like something then go to the office and complain, then they give out the actual address for Fox Studios. Gave me a chuckle for some reason.

However, could it be possible we got all the G.L. stuff in this episode because the producers of The Simpsons knew early on that there was going to be an announcement of the Star Wars OT DVDs in early 2004 and they wrote this episode to coincide with the timeframe of the annoucement when everyone was thinking "Star Wars" again? It's a long shot, but maybe.

14. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Probably more to do with Fox expected earlier to get/broadcast AOTC sometime soon..

15. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

How about the Jim Jam cereal. - "It's just Alphabets with extra J's" [​IMG]

16. WillG

WillG Producer

It is also kind of odd that the opening of the episode was about "Galaxy Wars" which was quite similar to "Star Wars" when "Star Wars" clearly exists in the Simpsons universe. Of course, I know why it was "Galaxy Wars" but it's weird.

17. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Something else I was wondering about. Wasn't that a Catholic ritual that was going on in the church? If so, why was that happening at a non-catholic church?

18. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Put me in the camp with those that was dissapointed by the episode. Definately a low-point for the show...I dunno, I guess I just don't find alcoholism all that funny...[​IMG]

19. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Communion is used in multiple churches, not just the catholic segment.

"And the wine goes good with the Jollyrancher I'm sucking on!"[​IMG]

Yeah the Star Wars joke is several years too late but I haven't laughed this much at a television program in motnhs. Doesn't help that I don't normally watch TV on sunndays..but I'm beginning to rethink that practice.

20. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

"That was the most disappointing movie ever! I'll only see it three more times...today!" [​IMG]