What's new

Simple WYSIWYG website maker? (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I want to make a simple personal website. I downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver and didn't know what the hell I was doing. I also played around with Word and found nothing ends up where I want it on the final page.
Anyone have any recomendations on a simple WYSIWYG HTML editor? I don't want to do any HTML work myself. I just want to attach images and type text and let the software do the HTML itself.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Camp,

Dreamweaver is actually REALLY easy once you get the hang of what your doing. Experiment! Thats all I can say, experiment.

Something that is really easy if Front Page Express, or Front Page....but you should try and stick it out with Dreamweaver.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
It's worth your time to learn dream weaver, honestly. Was there something you didn't get about it? You can drag pictures to the surface of your website project. It took me about 5 minutes to make the HTFL website in dream weaver, that might be apparant from the looks of it though ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I'll give Dreamweaver another shot.

I just couldn't figure out what I was looking at on screen. It appears overly powerful for what I need.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Larry!

I've sort of figured out the content creation part. I'm now stuck on where Dreamweaver puts all the associated files (images).

Microsoft Word created the html file along with a subfolder containing the images I embedded in the html. I would simply copied that subfolder to my ISP's server and my html page would find the images.

When Dreamweaver saves I can only find the html file. It doesn't appear to create a subfolder for images. They're linked directly off their locations on my hard drive. Now, when I view the homepage from the server it is missing all the associated images.

I've tried creating my own subfolder on the server (containing the images) but it didn't work.

Am I making any since?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Camp - Alas, there are no freeware WYSIWYG web-creation tools. I played with the Dreamweaver demo briefly once. It's overkill for simple tasks, but it's not as difficult as it first looks.

Though not the best, I suggest giving MS Word, or Powerpoint, another go if you don't like Dreamweaver.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Camp-Dreamweaver should be asking you if you want to save the files as copies in the dreamweaver folder. How are you adding images? If dropping and dragging, it wont ask you this, use the PIcture that looks like it's sparkling icon :)
I also disagree that Dreamweaver is overkill for simple tasks. Why learn on a lesser product?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Larry,

I'll look for that icon. I inserted the pictures via the "insert" drop-down menu. It never asked me anything.

Cool...I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
don't know if this counts, but since I am not html wise, I won't be embarrassed by my suggestion. Netscape Communicator throws in what they call composer. I toyed with it for awhile while I worked for Netscape, but not much. It seemed very easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks