Simple theater question:

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Adlhoch, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

what resolution am I looking at when I am watching a movie in a theater?

1080I?

720P

1080P?

what resolution?

2. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

I believe movie theater film has 1200 lines or resolution, progressively framed.
    DB[​IMG]
    I think I should have said it could have up to about 1200 lines. But I think it can vary, depending on the film camera used to shoot the movie.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, if you're watching film, I think that's theoretically infinite resolution. It's like looking at a photograph made from film vs. looking at a really nice digital photo.

I do wish it was 30fps instead of the current standard 24fps.

4. Bill Adlhoch

watching a DVD i am getting 480P (at best), what is this compared to in the theater?

5. Bill Adlhoch

anyone?

6. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Does it work like a simple equation, 1200 minus 480?

-Bert

..not sure..

7. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

The comparison is not as simple as subtraction.... There's a whole field in engineering called Information Theory that quantifies such things.
    This link should satiate the technical appetite of those trying to get a handle on how well motion picture film can be digitized.
    Film versus Video
    But forgetting technical details for a moment, DVD film copies are as clean as the original compressed video transfer, but movie theaters often play scratchy film copies that most theaters receive. So while the original film stock for movies has a higher resolution than digital video formats, the distribution methods are far better for digital than for film, hands down.
    -JNS

8. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

It is not really fair to compare video to film,to quote James Cameron "Film is film and video is video, And the video of the film is NOT that film. The average home video monitor displays about 300 lines of picture information. A 35mm film has resolution, or the ability to show detail, equivalent to about 2500 lines."

This quote is taken from the pamphlet included in the "Terminator 2" special edition LD box set.

As a side note I also read one time in Widesceen Review that had the digital tecnology of of DVD been applied to the LD format we may well have been enjoying 1200 to 1400 lines of resolution today instaed of 480 to 500.

Brent.

9. BobL

BobL Agent

The theoretical maximum resolution has to do with the grain of the film, equipment and processing. A 35mm 16x9 film equals appoximately 3280 x 1845 interlaced. Most film is 24-30 frames per second. 70mm film is approximately 4x the resolution 6560 x 3690 interlaced. These resolutions are for general comparison and not absolute. This could very considerably.