Simple Sub-woofer hook-up question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kenny_M, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

Hello. First off, I would like to say that I am glad to be a new member of the hometheaterforum. I have been reading the threads on this site over the past couple days, and am very impressed with the knowledge that is apparent from the members and shared with those in need of assistance.
    So, here is my simple question:
    I have just purchased and am awaiting delivery of a new Panasonic SC-HT900 "theater-in-a-box" system. I would like to know if there is ANY possibility of hooking up an additional powered sub-woofer (Infinity PS10)to the system's main receiver. The reason I ask is because the Panasonic main unit (dvd/receiver) does not have an additional dedicated sub-woofer output, though it does have one 'line-out'. My thoughts is that I could send RCA cables from the line-out on the Panasonic to the RCA inputs on the sub-woofer. I realize that the line-out will be sending the full spectrum of sound through to the sub, but will my sub's low-pass filter take care of this such that I only hear the frequencies that I "dial in"?
    Any help or insight to this (including "what are you talking about? That's impossible!") will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance to anybody that takes the time to respond to this thread....

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Kenny,
    You've got it exactly right. The line out is an option... and the low-pass filters in your Infinity sub should do the trick. One caution: the "line out" may be fixed line level, i.e. won't change when the volume control is adjusted. This will make they system a pain to use - you'll need to go adjust the gain control on the sub when you change volume.

The other option is to possibly tap into the connection to the HTIB's sub. Since the sub is 27lb, I'm guessing the sub amp is in the sub. This is good news. However, it's hard to tell whether the signal to the sub is full range or filtered, and what signal level. What kind of connection is this? Can you tap into it with a "y" cable?

3. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

Thanks for your reply Dave ! Based on the picture in the manual (link below--need adobe acrobat), the sub does not appear to allow accesss to the amp. The sub talks to the main unit through a system cable (transmits power to receiver/receives audio information from receiver). So, the line-out seemed to be the only option...
    Regarding the potential problem with the volume (fixed line-level), does this mean if I had the line-out connected to a tape deck (to record a CD, for instance), that I would not be able to control the volume of the signal being recorded by the tape recorder? Just trying to reason through this because if anything, I think you're probably right about it being line-level.. Just wouldn't make sense with a tape-deck connected......well, if anything, I feel much better knowing that it's an option to have two subs....
    Thanks for the reply, and any more thoughts are very welcomed !! sorry, don't have URL privs yet, so you'll have to cut and paste the following into your browser....

htt://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SCHT900.PDF

4. John S

John S Producer

Tape decks have their own record volume level control....
    They are made to recieve fixed line level input.

Are you saing that the sub in HTIB has no amp in it?

5. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

Thanks John... After posting my last thread, I thought about it and realized what you just said about the tape-deck example... I'm sure it is a fixed line-level on the line-out. Regarding the sub from the HTIB, it does have an amp, but it doesn't appear to be accessible (i.e.- cannot tap into it with my other sub using a 'Y' cable) All there is on the back is speaker connections and a system connection for the system cable that connects to the main receiver...

6. Dave Milne

That's why recorders have input level controls. If the line out were variable, you would be forced to listen at potentially high volume when doing a recording.

After looking at your linked .pdf, I am virtually certain that the line out jacks are fixed level. Oh well. And the "system cable" isn't something I'd like to try to hack into.

These are the limitations you run into when opting for the convenient HTIB solution.

Good luck.

Edit: John beat me to it! With regard to his other comment... I would guess that ALL amplifiers are in the sub enclosure. This is evidenced by the fact that all of the speaker connections are done at the back of the sub.

7. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

Thanks, Dave. another option i considered is sending my line-out into an input on another receiver of mine, then out from that receiver's sub-out... At least I would be able to control the volume of the sub through the receiver, right? Or, does that not make any sense/would not work?

8. Dave Milne

The receiver solution should work fine.

Let me get this straight... You already had an AV receiver and you still opted for HTIB? [​IMG]

9. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

I know, I know..... It's a sensitive subject.. I also have a Panasonic RP-82 DVD player (with the Dcdi Faroudja deinterlacer), and of course the Infinity PS-10 sub... The problem is, the front, center and rear speakers that I REALLY want will cost me somewhere between $1000 and $1200. I do not even have close to that amount of money. Not to mention, my receiver is old enough to not even have DTS decoding, nor analog (6 ch.) inputs to receive it from the DVD player. Thus, my logic was, get the HTIB (SC-HT900 is supposedly one of the best on the market right now) to hold me off until I have enough money for a new receiver (6.1 or 7.1 ch. at least), fronts, center, and rears (basically, a whole new system).... make sense? Well, with all that said, I still hope I am not making a mistake getting the SC-HT900... I guess I'll find out when it comes in (~Monday, Jan. 12, supposedly)... I will definitely post a thread with my opinion of it and whether or not it has quenched my temporarily modest HT desires....
    Thanks for all the info everyone !!
    ~~ Peace! ~~

10. Kenny_M

Kenny_M Auditioning

Just as a follow up... I received the SC-HT900 and was not impressed with it.. Maybe it is my natural ear for powerful good soundin systems that is a tad too critical, but, nevertheless I am sending it back. I found a deal through Crutchfield where I can get two Polk RTi8 front speakers('70s replacements) AND a Polk CSi3 all for $715.00 ! I already have two (kind of old) polk surrounds, so I am just going to buy speaker stands for them, and hook up a new (mostly) Polk system ! If anyone has any opinions, suggestions about the following system, I would really appreciate some feedback:

My new system will consist of:
    1 Sony STR-??? HT Receiver (Only DD decoder, no DTS)
    2 Polk RTi8 front speakers
    1 Polk Csi3 center channel
    2 Polk M3 surround speakers (actually designed for outdoor speakers, though perform great as surrounds!)
    1 Infinity PS-10 powered sub
    1 Panasonic RP-62 DVD player (with Dcdi faroudja technology)

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think that you will be far more pleased with this setup than with the HTIB. Plus it is much more easily upgradable.

You can replace your receiver should you feel the need at your leisure. The same with the surrounds and sub.