What's new

Simple solution - skip this format (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I was thinking of the next generation disks that use holographics to store data. Hard Drives are already being made, but they are expensive. The technology is ancient, but has always been to much effort to mass produce.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
I recently used iTunes merely because I took advantage of a ticket pre-sale for the Red Hot Chili Peppers which required purchasing & downloading their new album. The iTunes software screwed up my default media player, the music is hardly high quality, and they only enable the buyer to burn it to a CD 7 times! I'm sorry, but restrictions and piracy paranoia like these is exactly the reason why HD-VOD would never interest me! That, and the fact that I prefer to own / collect my movies and always will! Beta, VHS, LD, DVD, HD-DVD - BRING 'EM ON!!! :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Count me in with the crowd that doesn't want to see an On Demand service. For one thing, we've just got broadband in our area. And present-day broadband isn't nearly fast enough to deliver high quality HD content, in my opinion. I'd hate to be left out of a format just because it wasn't available in my area.

Also, I fear that if this becomes the norm, it will go the route of the music industry. Sure iTunes and music downloading is convenient, but the quality is nowhere near as good as CD.

Finally, I like being able to own something. DVD packaging isn't just something that sits on my shelf and collects dust; instead, it's part of my collection, just as much as the disc itself.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I personally cannot stand to use steaming audio or video and downloads. They are always compressed. If broadband has limited brandwidth the HD content may very well be compressed as well as deluded from all the length of cables and possible interference in the lines. I don't think that these things will ever set the standard. Video and Audiophiles for the most part agree on such things.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It will be the standard, someday. But that day is still far into the future. Like, decades away.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Not trying to convince, but I certainly like find myself in a position to take complete advantage of all HD content. Nothing wrong with waiting for HD-VOD, but why rob yourself of HD content that's available now. There will be a complete HD world someday, all digital channels as mandated by Congress, HD software, and finally HD-VOD. The only issue is that by the time it's complete a new format will come into play anyway.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Robert, you know I kind of feel your pain and understand where your P.O.V. is coming from, but unfortunately I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I'm seriously hoping to upgrade my projector in a couple months, and my first choice at the moment- if I happen to settle on it- will present an interesting situation- for the first time, my source (HD DVDs) will exceed the capabilities of my display, which would mean that it would be two or three more years down the road, on the next upgrade, where I would finally realize the true potential of my burgeoning HD DVD collection. And all that, after living for several years with what would already be 'much better than the best' SD DVD quality.

15 years ago, I spent way beyond my meager means to amass a small LD collection that i (wrongly) thought would last (in terms of P/SQ as well as media durability) for the rest of my life. that was how I justified the prices of LD.

I knew, after that, that someday my DVD collection would seem obsolete- even though, to this day, I still get enormous satisfaction with the better produced ones on my current fp system.

I was happy/basically satisfied with the potential that could be relaized with DVD. With HD DVD, I'm ecstatic that I may not feel a need to EVER rebuy based on PQ and SQ issues. Honestly.

In fact, the only thing that could kill this golden goose that I can see, is if the studios see that last comment and see that as an extreme negative and then work to scuttle it (by killing the consistently 'superior format' and charging ahead with the medicore one). and that easily could happen.

Robert, to sling another cliched aphrosim- I think you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. If there are titles released, especially on HD DVD, that you love- you owe it to your system to feed it them.

Your gear will thank you.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Paul, not to derail the thread, but have you heard about the opcoming Sony Pearl? 1920x1080 SXRD for under $5k, supposedly. Plus CEDIA should introduce quite a few other options.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It's been delayed indefinitely. Apparently Sony has its hands full trying to deal with the recall of 6 million exploding laptop batteries and all of the associated litigation. :)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've watched a few Comcast HD on Demand. Fine, if you like all Pan 'n Scam. And there are audio dropouts. No thanks, I'm glad to watch my HD DVDs. Besides, I already skipped a format (D-Theater) and I dang near had the SHAKES over that one! :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
guess he was making a joke as I can't find anything on AVS about an indefinite postponment.

I more than likely won't be getting the Pearl as it will exist just outside my comfort level as far as budget, as well as being too new in the short term to be able to assess what its particular issues may be (if any). It great that its coming though, as it puts tremedous pressure on the higher quality 720p's to hit price points that are finally within my comfort zone.
the added bonus of these will be the fact they have been in the market for a while and a knowledge base has built up .

at least thats what I'm thinking now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks