What's new

Simple solution - skip this format (1 Viewer)

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Having bought close to 1000 DVDs, 300 Laserdiscs and 100 VHS I have decided to skip a format

In case you think I'm a newbie I'm not. I have a high end projetor set up involving JVC SX21 and anamorphic lens onto Da-Lite Power 120" screen and a fuu range 7.1 speaker system backed up by 2 REL Stentors. I'll be buying the Pearl or Ruby later this year

I will wait to receive HD on demand

I simply cannot be bothered with collecting into yet another format that may not even be the standard

I'll probably buy both HD DVD and Blu Ray players at about $500 each when they are available and continiue to use Netflix

The format I need is HD on demand

I cannot believe how screwed up this new DVd format really is. Do they really expect me to collect these B grade titles yet again?

Roll on HD VOD - it's coming and makes this format war irrelevant?

Rob

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The holographic technology being used as a storage medium period is one of the best ideas I have seen. Cost of production is currently to high, but when they get that down it will open up a whole new world of amazing technological advances, just think of what our own government could be up to with all this, scary huh?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think you would have to have widespread point-to-point fiber networks (including home connections) in order to make HD VOD viable. I don't think widespread fiber optic home connections are going to be showing up for quite a few years yet, so a disc-based HD medium is still required. HD disc could still be viable even if there were HD VOD services, because there are a lot of people who want to own hard copies of movies. They are not likely to swarm to a download model that would likely be a pay-per-view system. I know that I, personally, have absolutely no interest in net delivered video on demand. I prefer to own pressed discs of movies and music.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
When I interviewed Leo Laporte earlier this year, he also said he believed HD on demand content was the future. My argument to that point was that many people are still purisits in the sense that they like to psychically own a product, likewise not have travel or space restrictions to films.

On Demand, like iTunes, is a great service for those who don't care about things like packaging, extras, etc. But many of us, most posters on HTF I would imagine, will probably prefer a nice hard copy special edition of a movie, rather then a file on a HDD which can get erased by accident by some hardware bug.

Just my opinion, I could be.. and probably am... horribly wrong.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
HD VOD is a long, long way from being either a commercially or logistically viable way to distribute content.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Great idea!

Myself, I'm gonna swear off computers until I can buy a quantum computer for $100. Putting my eggs in a speculative basket rocks!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
According to the latest issue of Sound and Vision, full length movie downloads are on a par with VHS when it comes to picture quality. This may be the future, but it will be a very long time before it becomes viable.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
So you aren't really skipping them then. Those projectors you're looking to buy demand HD format, DEMAND!!! ;)

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
I know Comcast offers HD movies in their On Demand service but, not having an HD cable box I've never tried it.

I wouldn't mind having something like that for trying out movies I haven't seen before, but I personally prefer to own physical copies of films that I like enough to warrant a purchase.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Man, I just roll along, chillin and if I need it I'll buy it.

*takes a toke*

Heh, I don't smoke that stuff really. But the idea is correct. If I like what's out and the quality, I'll pick up what I want. Skipping the tech is a tough thing to do. Before long the price will come way down, you'll be able to get what you want out of the bargain bin and you'll buy it. ;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Simple solution - skip this forum

This is not VOD forum. This is a software forum.

Butt, since your here;

Why the question mark?
And who says HD VOD is the "last" format???
4K will kick it's tail!!!

You should have just stuck with VHS, then you wouldn't be in this mess!

Oh, the pain of being a videophile!
Boo, woo!

Don't worry, I don't mind anyone sitting on the sidelines.
Cause I'm sitting on the sidelines!!!
I can not afford to make a mistake.
And I don't want to drink Kool-Aid anymore. Yuck!!!
Just your title, may have said "I'll" skip...
And, maybe post it in HD programing forum?

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator
Ge are all the people on here as nice as you are ED. He is not totally off in his ideas or remakrks and you attack him. I too am sitting out for now at least as the format war is stupid. Plus they are releasing sub par titles. I do believe VOD is the future and if I tunes has taught us anything is that people prefer convenience over quality. Look at Tivo sales and people downloading tv programs now.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
How far into the future, though? That is the question.

Pinning your hopes on technology that may not be close to mainstream for another decade and a half is more than a little... Puzzling, to put it kindly.

It's like planting an oak seedling at age 80 and daydreaming about the shade it will give ;)

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this thread because I really believe that the studios and hardware manufacturers have made a terrible mess of the new format.

Of course there are some great titles.

I simply believe that the future involves me downloading movies at $5 a shot and not collecting boxes of plastic that sit on my shelf gathering dust.

As I continue to use Netflix at $18 per month enabling me to easily watch 12 films a month it essentially removes the need or desire to collect loads of titles. And netflix has the new HD formats

I've looked at Comcast HD VOD and it's OK, not as nice as HD DVD but it's here today not in 5 years or anything like that.

I suppose I keep staring at nearly 1000 DVD's gathering dust and asking myself why on earth I'd do that again.

It just does not make sense to me as I look forwards.

In fact I would argue that running an 8 disc Netflix account will save you thousands of dollars in the long run as our collections are all doomed to the bin of obselescence anyway.

Rob

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Oh God, noooooooooooo! Not another Robert. That's all this forum (and format debate) needs.* ;)

No offense, Rob me ol' mucker, but what you're talking about is a replacement for rental not retail. Since you already seem to be using rental in the form of netflix the VOD option probably seems very appealing to you. To others of us rental isn't all that attractive, at least not as the only option, so the idea of VOD isn't anything to go cock-a-hoop over. If you've got over a grand of DVDs on your shelf I can understand you wanting to avoid such profligacy in the future, but that's more a question of self control than damning the rest of us to a rent-only existence. Why punish the mass for the sins of just a few? Instead just gather the will to only purchase the titles you really love, and will watch more than once. :)

*no offence, just an observation that us Robs are way over-represented in these debates

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
VOD only works if you plan to see the whole product. If you just want to see (or study) some discrete scenes, It might be disaster.

It's the way I listen to most of my classic music too: sometimes I listen to the whole piece (alone, with family, or friends), very often I only select one or more parts of it. Sometimes playing it twice or more over ... and again once more. :)

Not as often as that with movies, true, but I rather often watch certain scenes (or part of a movie) on their own. Often on a PC too.

So, no, I don't think VOD will ever be a definite all-encompassing solution for me.

Cees

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My main concern with VOD is that it will be limited only to things that there's a big demand for. Fringe and niche titles will be stuck in the back room, never to be seen again.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
How is buying an HD DVD and/or Blu-ray player and renting the discs from Netflix "skipping" the format? If you've got a player, you're in. You are just choosing not to re-buy titles. Lots of us are doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks