Simple refrence document on bi-amping?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by AlbertD, Mar 8, 2006.

1. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

I am not looking for info on bi-wiring, but true bi-amping. It can't be as simple as taking out the connector on speakers rigged for bi-wiring and then running a seperate set of wires from one amp to one set of posts and from another amp to the other set of posts. Info is welcome but a link to any site that can explain it to a novice like me would be better.

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It IS that simple with passive biamping, though there would be two forms - horizontal - example: one 2ch amp for the highs of two speakers and one 2ch amp for the lows, and vertical - one amp for each speaker, one channel for each set of posts. Theoretically, horizontal gives you a more balanced load on the amps, and you can use a smaller amp for the highs.

Active biamping is where it would start getting complicated, needing an electronic crossover before the amplification stage and opening up your speakers to disable the passive x-over.

3. AlbertD

I had heard that passive bi-amping is questionable as to how much of an impact it makes, where active bi-amping is a clear upgrade. Thoughts?

4. John Garcia

John
    IMO, passive biamping can still be beneficial if your speakers really need a ton of power. You gain a lot of headroom because there is less demand on each individual amp. What exactly is it you're after?

Active seems much more complicated than I would be willing to deal with. John S here has done it, so he might be the better person to comment on it (he hasn't been around lately though). I would prefer not to have to try to reproduce what the passive x-over was designed to do already.

5. AlbertD

I just like to experiment for the pleasure of it. I'm going to have some extra amps sitting around and was thinking of bi-amping the front speakers just for fun. My speakers aren't hard to drive at all, actually they are fairly sensitive and all 8 Ohm so perhaps there isn't really anything to gain.

6. Elliot_W

Elliot_W Agent

What about matching "gain" on the amps? How careful does one need be when using two different brands? Also, how can one find out which amps can pair with each other?

Also curious.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

This is not my understanding. If both amps are driven full range, it wouldn't matter?

Obviously active biamping increases headroom.

8. John Garcia

John
    Why would it not matter? Yes the amp is getting the whole signal still, but it isn't actually DRIVING a full range speaker so it is doing less work. The amp reacts to how much work is actually done by the speaker which is now limited by the passive x-over. So, if less work is done, less power is required, thus more available headroom. When you move to active biamping you narrow the range being sent to the amp so it has even less to do; theoretically reducing distortion and giving you a cleaner signal.

9. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Indeed, I was confused.