Simple Receiver Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AaronHA, Mar 12, 2006.

1. AaronHA

AaronHA Auditioning

Just a simple question... is it silly to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and only use 2 of the channels with the idea of upgrading in the future? I'm in an apartment right now and a simple 2.1 HT is better fit due to noise/neighbors/visible wires, that sort of thing. I'd just get a 2.1 receiver but I can't find any with component switching which I also need.

Thanks

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

It's absolutely fine to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 receiver to use for a 2.1 setup. As long as you're planning to upgrade (or add) speakers in the future, I think it's the smart thing to do.

3. AaronHA

AaronHA Auditioning

Sweet, thanks! That solves some problems!

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend against it due to the fact that the technology changes so rapidly that for the same amount of money you spend now that an avr with more capabilities will be availible at that time. I would recommend instead get a good quality amp and an outboard video switcher thus getting a better quality of sound which may be integrated to the next theater (assuming you buy an AVR with pre-outs in the future). Hopefully when you buy later that the hdmi switching problems will be fixed and the quality of upconversion improved.

5. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Are you looking at buying New or Used?

From what you have described I would look at a decent used model.

Also, what is your price range?

6. AaronHA

AaronHA Auditioning

Thanks for the responses...

My price range is $200-$300 for a receiver. I'm definitely on a budget. I am open to buying new or used/refurb. I looked at getting an outboard video switcher and a two channel receiver but that actually ended up costing me more than a single receiver with 7.1 and video switching (Onkyo TXSR503). So I didn't want to go that route. I would be perfectly fine with a 2 channel receiver and an outboard video switcher but, strangely enough, it's a hair outta my price range. Is there another route I could go on a receiver that would bring the price down a bit?