simple receiver and amp question......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if you add an amp to a receiver does it add to the watts or does it replace it.

Like if I add a 100w/2channel amp to a 100w/5channel amp will the two mains be 200w now or stay at 100w but just use the amp's watt. get it?

Oh another question, if I add an amp to my powered subwoofer will it make a difference in the accuracy of the sub.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Tan_U
    You can't simply add an amp to a receiver. If the receiver has pre-outs you can replace the receiver amps with the separate amp. If the receiver does not have pre outs, you will likely destroy both the receiver and the amp.
    Powered subs are not designed to have power added to them. Some will allow you to use a speaker level source, such as the "B" speaker outputs on your receiver to drive the sub, but the sub simply lowers the power to the low voltage of a line level driver.
    You will read a great deal on forums about adding separate amps to receivers. I have had lots of experience with both set-ups and a solid receiver can give you all the power you will need, especially with a powered sub.
    Receiver amp sections do not all sound exactly alike, but neither do separate amps. The differences tend to be subtle. Receivers are usually significantly less expensive for similar perforance and features.
    Ugraditis is a contagious disease. Best to stay away.
    Artie

3. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I guess I came across pretty newbie-ish but I do have have some knowledge about home theater, it's the amps and processors that I don't know much about because when I first started getting into home theater I was only considering receivers because pre/pro would be out of my budget.

Thanks for the reply, that pretty much answered my question.