What's new

Simple question regarding a subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Andrew_G

Agent
Hi guys,

Thanks to the help of this great message board, I was able to easily complete my home theater setup which consisted of a nice Sanyo projector, a great pioneer reciever, and a Da-Lite 106 inch screen.

I love it a lot, but now I have a question about my subwoofer.

I am not a huge audio person, I am into headphones though so you can use any audiophile slurs that you know; I'll probably understand them :)

Anyways, I have a Pioneer VSX-D514K reciever which is a 5.1 500 watt setup. I have all five channels, but no subwoofer yet. I am planning on buying one in the very near future, however, so I wanted to make sure I am doing everything correctly thus far.

I see that there are two different subwoofer ports on the back of my reciever. Due to setup, it would take hours to get into the back of this reciever to see what these ports are called. I also do not know if these are inputs or outputs. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to give out the website of the specifications because I haven't posted enough.

So, my question is: What kind of subwoofer do I buy? I do not want the subwoofer to amplify any speakers, I just simply want it to output bass from my reciever.

Any help is greatly appredciated.

PS: Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is a good subwoofer to start with? Some requirements are that it has to be relatively cheap (sub 400 USD).

Thanks a bunch!

Andrew Grathwohl

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
Under that price range you might want to get the HSU STF-2. It gets good reviews.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I see that there are two different subwoofer ports…/quote]
**shudder** It give me the heebie-jeebies when people combine audio and computer terminologies!

The sub jacks on the back of the receiver will be outputs and they will send a signal to the sub. The sub will be self-powered – i.e., have its own built-in amplifier, with its own level control. It will have no effect on the sound of the existing five main speakers.

The correct sub for a particular need is largely dependent on the size of your room and your listening habits – which in this case, means how loud you like to play it. If you have a smallish room, a $400 sub should be perfectly adequate; if this is a 3500 sq. ft. house where the family room opens up to other rooms, as well as the whole upstairs, then it probably won’t get the job done.

Another $400 contender that gets good recommendations is the Adire Rava.

By the way Andrew, we aren’t supposed to include equipment lists in our signatures. You might want to change it before a Moderator notices. See #6 at this link, Forum Rules and FAQ.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks