What's new

Simple question re: Onkyo ht-s650 and 660 HTiBs (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hello,

I have been seeing a lot of talk regarding the Onkyo home theater system ht-s650, saying it is a cheap, but good bang for the buck system.

On both Onkyo's site and the JandR site, I can only find mention of the ht-s660. What is the difference between these models, and is the 660 as highly regarded?

Thanks,
Todd

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
The 660 has an updated receiver and its supposed to be better than the ones on the 650. that is the only difference. speakers are the same, except the grills which look much cooler than before. i say get the 660's. the 650 had problems with the LFE signal so id stay away from the old model.

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
Todd, I just bought the Onkyo HT500, which are the speakers included in that bundle. I have to say I'm quite impressed, I just got them hooked up last night to my Sony DA1ES reciever. You will definitely need better speaker wire though, the stuff that it came with was about as thick as a twist-tie. I don't know anything about the recievers, but the speakers got good reviews, and I like them too. I'd say Onkyo direct is the way to go.

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks, fellas for your input. This system would actually be for a friend, and I thought it would be easy to recommend. I wouldn't mind picking it up for myself, but I'm not in the market right now. In case anyone's interested, ABT Electronics has it for $380 shipped, no tax and free shipping, I think.

Jeremy McCarthy

Auditioning
Another difference I noticed (I just picked up the 660 from Fry's, they had it for $350 this week) is that the 650 had a/v hookups in the front. The speaker ports in the back of the 650 also had the larger banana clip style inputs, the new one just has the smaller standard speaker hookups. I don't know if the grills came off the 650, but they don't come off on the 660. Are there any comparisons out there? Or at least a review of the 660, I havent been able to find any.

Chris-R

Auditioning
It's been a while since someone posted about the HT-S660. Things been going swell with it? I presume that since it was a low-end system, a low-end DVD player was matched. What would you recommend that plays DVD-R/-RW, too?

Thanks!
/chris

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have what amounts to the HT-650 and so far no problems. HUGE bang for the buck! The grills come off the front l/r but not the center or surrounds (unless you use a screwdriver and carefully pry them off like I did. They are glued at the posts). Also, the encloser for the surrounds is much deeper on the 650. Almost 8 1/2" with the 660 being 4 1/8". This was an issue for some who felt that was too big. But I think the bigger box produces a little better sound. They are also very easy to use. Perfect for the person who wants to "set it and forget it" (sorry Mr. Popeil). Gene

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Let's discuss specific HTiB models in A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks