1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

simple question here

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike F, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Mike F

Mike F Extra

Why does the sound come out of the surrounds lower in volume than the mains ?
    I have all speakers set to small.
    I can even it out by using each speakers volume adjustment
    but if the distance between you and surrounds and mains are even shouldn't the sound be the same volume ?
    I'm trying do this for when I play music.

2. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

I have a Question?
    What speakers and reciever are you using.
    Are ur front speaker excatly the same as your rear or are they Bigger?

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I think it mostly has to do with how the music/movie is mixed. I also think surrounds are under-used but most engineers apparently use surrounds for "ambient" sound only. I like a more agressive mix. But I'm in the minority here. The center channel is usually over-used and the sub cranked up too much, in my opinion. In fact, I read an article suggesting we are going from a 5.1 to a 1.5 format! A single center and five subwoofers! People like their bass. I say, "don't forget about the surrounds" Gene

4. Mike F

Mike F Extra

Klipsch mains and surrounds all the same model.
    JVC 8030 .
    I think I just haven't configured something correctly.

5. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

I heard George Lucas wants 10.2 so as marketing goes we are slowly getting there which would be 3/2/2/3 + 2 subs. Although some here go beyond 1 sub already

6. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

I think it can be a combination of:
    1) longer cable runs to the rears, thus less signal reaches them;
    2) lower mix in the rears for some software;
    3) smaller rears (mine, not yours).

I usually have +3 dB in the rears for DVDs & satellite, but raise it to +6 for some mixes. My rears have an additional 20-25 of cable to them compared to the mains.

Doug

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

WHOOOHOOO!!!! Thank GOD, some kindred souls out there!!
    The more information sent to the rears, the better... It should sound like your there!!!, not watching
    POTC was a severe disappointment in my book(for one example) all that was going on back there was the occasional explosion and some faint music

8. John S

John S Producer

I don't get it... POTC has a very dynamic surround mix.

When you use all channel stereo is the volume the same?
    Speakers and AVR models please?

It will only be loud when they are supposed to.

I mean it does not contain front soundstage (way most dominant) content. So the content is less, but the impact looms large.

9. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

What processing mode are you in when you are listening to the music?

10. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

always select 5.1 for movies, (in the receiver and movie menu) Lately in music I've only been listening to two channel w/sub
    Nah, I watched it last night, and remebered how severely disappointed I was in the mix

11. John S

John S Producer

POTC has DTS, try the DTS track..... I was impressed with it myself. I did try the DD track once, and did seem dissapointed in it by comparisons.

12. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

There could be a number of things wrong. You said you can set the volume even for each speaker. Did you do this by ear or SPL meter? If not by SPL then you should get one.

The next thing to look at is what DSP mode is on when you are listening to music. We will look at DVD's in a sec. I am assuming we are talking about regular cds here. I am not familiar with you receiver but unless it has a 5 chanel stereo mode you will not get the same infomation in the surrounds as in the front. Most likely you have been using Dolby Prologic or Prologic II or something along those lines. With these DSP's the surrounds are only designed to get ambiaent or filler type noise. The bulk of the material is still up front.

DVD's are a little bit different. It really depends on the movie and how it has been mixed. But in the same respect most movies are only going to contain background and ambient noise, as well to fill in the score. The surrounds really should not attract attention but rather fill in the sound. A good action flick with a lot of surround info, not just ambient noise, is the opening scene to Saving Private Ryan. You should here gun shots and all sorts of stuff in the surrounds. If you can hear the stuff going on behind you in this scene then at least you know they are working. You may just have different expectations as to how it should sound.

The bottom line however is if you have the speakers calibrated evenly and you are not satisfied turn the surrounds up a bit. It is your system and you can set it up anyway you like.

13. Mike F

Mike F Extra

No I didn't use the spl meter when I say even I meen by the volume setting for each speaker .
    These are regular music cds I use the dsp all stereo mode and the surrounds just sound lower than the mains.
    The receiver is the jvc rx8030vbk. speakers are klipsch sb3.1's.

14. John S

John S Producer

Are the rear channels of this AVR equal in power to the other channels? You used to have to watch this, but it seems it should be.

15. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I checked the manual online and from the desription it would seen that you should get a full signal in all the speakers. So I would say just turn them up. Whithout an SPL meter who knows if they are really even anyway.

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m not familiar with your particular receiver, including its DSP modes. But most DSP modes are intended to replicate various types of venues for 2-channel music. If you think of a typical concert hall or jazz club, the acoustics would not have sound from the sides or rear seem to be as loud as that coming from the front. So what you get from the surround speakers will mostly be a simulated reverberation effect. Meaning that it should not be very loud.

Of course 5-channel music (SA-CD & DVD-A) will be different.

I expect that you are hearing what is intended by the DSP modes. But if you are really interested buy or borrow a SPL meter and a VE or AVIA disk and check out your sound levels. If you don’t want to get a disk, you can at least use the meter along with your receiver’s test tones to balance your speakers.

Then at least you will know you are getting what is intended. If you wish to change the balance to your liking—it is your system and your ears. Do what you want and don’t worry about anything else.