Simple Question- Do the new receivers...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Todd Smigelski, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

..have the capability (connection) for a turntable? I thought I heard somewhere that you need a special RF 'in' in order to connect your turntable. ie it just cant connect to an 'Aux' or 'tape 2'

Thanks guys

2. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

It's called "Phono" connection, some newer receivers have them, some don't. I believe you can purchase an adapter that allows you to convert phono to regular audio connection that can be plugged into aux/tape, but I don't know for sure.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Todd,

Many receivers no longer have phono inputs. The inputs are regular RCA pin jacks, but the output voltage from a magnetic phono cartridge is not the same as that from tape decks, vcrs, etc. With receivers that lack phono inputs, you need to buy a separate "phono pre-amp" to make the signal compatible with regular inputs on the receiver. These are available from Radio Shack for maybe $20 or so, though there are more expensive and presumably better ones available.

4. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    some turntables have built in phone pre amp that allow yout to plug into any standard input.

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Most Sony receivers (certainly All of the better ones) still have a Phono input. For most, it is a waste of what would otherwise be a perfectly usable input, but for people with collections of vinyl, it is a welcome feature.

7. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Yamaha's also feature this feature it seams to be on the RX--V7xx and above though. I've got the RX-V730 and this was one of 2 main reasons I chose my reciever.