What's new

Simple Question about splitting component cables (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I have heard that it is possible to use an RCA Y splitter so that you can connect 2 component cables to one input(well 3 splitters). Is this true, and if I do it, will I get much degredation of picture quality?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Thats a really bad idea. You want to purchase one of the switchers that will pass through only 1 signal at a time.

Splitting 1 output to go to 2 input devices is at least safe. But you are combining 2 outputs together.

Forget signal quality. Heven help your equipment if you power both of them up at the same time. At a minimum you will get a crappy (ghost/distortion) image. At the worst, you will damage the output of one/both of your sources.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
For the best solution, you may want to look at products like those made by Key Digiital, www.keydigital.com. A cheap solution may high isolation A/B switches like those that Radio Shack may sell.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I think there may be a bit of misconception about what I am trying to do here. I just need a cheap way to hook 2 sources up to one input because I just got an HDTV, and only one of the component inputs supports progressive scan. I will be hooking up an Xbox and a gamecube. I don't plan on turning them on at the same time. I just don't want to go behind my TV every time I want to play a game in progressive scan.

brucek

Second Unit
James,

Nope, I don't think there's any misconception. The answers given are quite correct.

This is a 75 ohm interface. If you connect (short) two outputs together through a reverse RCA splitter there will still be quite a few electrical components from the "unpowered unit" remaining in the combined circuit, whether both units are powered on or not. This can easily damage one or both components.

And guaranteed if both units are powered on, you'll have no joy.

You can't do this....You must go through a selector switch (as suggested already).

brucek

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Thank you for clearing that up, I understand now. I wasn't thinking about the video signal traveling back up to the unpowered source. I am still in a bind though. I checked radio shack way before I started posting here, and the closest they have is an S video selector. All I need is a simple 2 component switch, but I haven't been able to find one. All my online searches have ended up with products capable of what I need, but with extra features that push the cost upwards of $100. If there is a cheap way to do this that an average person could assemble, please let me know.

Wayne Clark

Agent
James,

that S-Video switcher will also switch a composite video and (left/right) audio channels. if you use the three RCA jacks as your component inputs and output, that should work. There may be some signal loss because I'm not sure this switching device is capable of the full bandwidth of the component cable, but it will work.

Wayne

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
He's right. You can just get any 'cheap' A/V selector. I have a Sony that cost $13.00 - so let your breath out and go out and get one! They work great and there is NO signal degradation at all.

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks