What's new

Simple Question about DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
Is dvd-audio its own 5 channel sound system, or is dvd-audio recorded in DD 5.1 or DTS?

I think its a simple question.

Nick L

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nick, DVD-Audio is a different format from Dolby Digital and DTS. In fact, DVD-Audio represents a higher-resolution audio format than Dolby Digital and DTS, as DVD-Audio uses lossless compression. DVD-Audio also offers higher resolution than CD. Dolby Digital and DTS fall under the broad category of DVD audio formats, but the distinction must be made between "DVD audio" and "DVD-Audio".

Note that DVD-Audio also offers the capability of high-resolution stereo, as well as high-resolution 5.1 surround sound.

Nick L

Second Unit
Thanks for the clarification. I had thought that dvd-audio was its own format, but see alot of dvd-audio discs with dd and dts tracks on them too. So when you run a dvd-audio disc it bypasses being processed by your reciever then, and what comes in on the 5.1 inputs goes out to the speaker...hence the need for bass management.

I think I understand now.

Nick L

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Nick, no problem. Most DVD-Audio discs have a Dolby Digital or DTS track to make them compatible with DVD-Video players. Note that as a different format, DVD-Audio tracks can only be played on DVD-Audio players, which also play DVD-Video discs (movies) and CDs.

Note that some high-end receivers and pre-pros can perform analog bass management on the 5.1-channel inputs. The key point is that it is not possible to play DVD-Audio tracks via a digital output. For one thing, the backers of DVD-Audio are concerned about piracy. As a high-resolution format, the backers of DVD-Audio fear that with digital output of the material, they would be basically giving away the master tape. So, digital output of DVD-Audio is not possible. As a secondary issue, receivers and pre-pros do not have the necessary decoder to handle DVD-Audio. Of course, the reason for this is tied to the lack of digital output of DVD-Audio due to piracy concerns.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Nick, no problem. Most DVD-Audio discs have a Dolby Digital or DTS track to make them compatible with DVD-Video players.
And some of those DD and DTS tracks sound pretty good in there own right.

Which means that even if you don't have a DVD-A capable player, you can still benefit from the new 5.1 mixes (if that sort of thing is your bag, baby).

BL

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, true. I find that the DTS tracks on DVD-Audio discs sound particularly good. Certainly not as good as DVD-Audio, but quite good.

Nick L

Second Unit
Thanks for all the help Keith. I just got my RP-82 and wanted to make sure I understood how it worked before I started using it.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks