Simple question about building subs (Is it easy in general)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MichaelBAr, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MichaelBAr

MichaelBAr Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering because It looks like it would be fun. I am 15 and have built computers, and all but not a sub. I think I can do it if I buy all the components but is it easy? I don't have a sub but I want one for my room. My budget is probably 160-200. I was probably going to get a dayton sub, or sony/velodyne. If I can find a good used one then I was going to get that.

2. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

A sealed sub can be easy to build if you have the right tools and patience. What tools do you have access to?

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Matts right, tools and patience are important but it sounds like you have patience if you work on computers. All you really need to build a sub are a drill and a jigsaw and maybe a circular saw if you dont get HD or Lowes to cut the sides of the sub. You could get a 120w plate amp from www.partsexpress.com and a Dayton driver or Shiva if you can afford it. Throw em into a sealed box of your liking and it will be better than a cheap sony or velo sub IMO.

4. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

It is very easy to biuld it you don't mind how it realy looks.
    I would get home depot to cut all the would and glue it and screw it together so you don't have to get clamps. I built a sub in a office. The floor space I had was about 5 by 6 feet. I went to HD at 8 p.m. with a cut sheetand got everything I need, MDF, screws, glue (already had a drill and jigsaw). Started biulding the box at 12:15 pm and was finished buy 3:30 am (raw mdf no finish). [​IMG]

5. MichaelBAr

well I don't have that much experience with wood but I know people that are (friends dad is a carpenter and works on building stuff a lot). I'm not going to do it immediately but I'm just trying to get info. I have patience and access to tools. Can I get a pre built cabinet? Where? The ones at parts express are much more expensive than I thought. Does the cab matter?

6. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

A cabinet is easy to build If you know how to use a drill and have a HD near by. Follow my steps in my other post and you should be able to do it in a day. One thing make sure you pre drill your holes.

7. MichaelBAr

Also anyone have any detailed plans I can look at? I'm going to give them to my friend so he can tell me if he thinks it is hard or not? Is it essentially a cube with a 10"-12" hole in it? (depending of the woofer size) And other things like legs, varnish, etc. are just for looks. What I want to know is if the inside is complicated. Is it as simple and easy as mark said?