Simple (possibly dopey) speaker question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dion C, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

I know this is probably a pretty silly question to the more advanced HTF buffs here, but I have a question re: using a center speaker for rear center sound (for 6.1).

I have a 5.1 set-up, and I recently received an unexpected gift of a Yamaha NS-C125 center speaker. (I don't even know how good this speaker is, sound quality-wise).

Anyway, I just purchased a new receiver (a Panasonic XR55), which enables 6.1 sound.

Can I use the Yamaha center speaker as a REAR center speaker (for 6.1 tracks)? Does it matter that this speaker is, I assume, meant for FRONT center channels?

Does it being meant for the front center mean that it wouldn't "work" or at least would work poorly being utilized as a rear center speaker?

I appreciate any insight any of you speaker gurus out there can give. (And, in my case, pretty much everybody knows more than me about such things and, therefore, qualifies as a "guru." :)

Thanks!

2. John S

John S Producer

Probably be ok, I mean, even though having the same exact speaker or at least fully timbre matched speakers is the rule. It is not etched in stone, I have seen 6.1 setups where they used an identical to their center for their rear with excellent results, so the center channel thing isn't bad at all, now how it will sound with your existing speakers? The only way to tell is to hook it up.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Pretty much a speaker is a speaker, it doesn't know where you are putting it or what it is being used for. As long as the impedance is not too low for the receiver (I don't know how exactly that pertains to digital amps) it should be perfectly fine. I agree with John S on how it will sound - nobody can tell you that but you.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

many people use a "center channel speaker" in this rear center position, either because it fits their room better aesthetically and/or because buying a lone center channel speaker is easiest when trying to add a lone 6th speaker for 6.1. so the speaker is just fine for that application.

and whether or not it matches your other speakers' timbre is much, much less important in that rear center position than it might be were you to use it as, for example, a front center.

so hook it up and enjoy.

5. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

Nope. No way it's going to work. It'll be terrible. In fact, it might make your system blow up.

Should be OK.[​IMG]

6. Dion C

Dion C Stunt Coordinator

Hey, thanks for the info, guys. 'Preciate your input. I did hook it up, and it sounds fine with the other speakers.

And thanks for the scare, Mike. And then the smile --

when I scrolled down. :)

7. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Congrats... btw... no question is stupid here...