What's new

Simple Plan - no pads, no helmets... just balls (1 Viewer)

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I picked up this album yesterday from target for $9.99 Wow! It's so great! Their lyrics aren't anything too powerful... it's more or less just fun-loving music to cruise around in while driving or maybe just hanging out. I'd classify them in the same category as Blink182, MXPX, Snapcase, etc, etc. Punk with a twist of melodic pop hooks thrown into the mix which make the songs all too difficult to forget. :)

Do you guys know of any other artists which have a similar sound to these guys or the other bands that mentioned? And oh yeah, what do *you* guys think of the Simple Plan album?

Scott.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Scott, I've only heard their song "I'm just a kid" but do like it.

For other groups with similar sounds, check out: The Used, Zwan, Exies, OK Go, and Box Car Racer(lead singer is from Blink 182). These are all very decent 'punk' bands.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Yeah, it's a fun record. I'm just getting into them and Sum 41, Yellowcard, and Good Charlotte. Punk or not, it's just rockin' good stuff.

Van Patton

Second Unit
I am ashamed I am reading that on the good HTF. These bands are corporate robots with one purpose only and that is to make money. I am a music snob and can't stand emotionless music with no energy or soul. If you want punk rock then put in Jonathan Richman and the Roadrunners or the Clash. Throw that p***y rock away.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I am ashamed I am reading that on the good HTF. These bands are corporate robots with one purpose only and that is to make money. I am a music snob and can't stand emotionless music with no energy or soul. If you want punk rock then put in Jonathan Richman and the Roadrunners or the Clash. Throw that p***y rock away.
:rolleyes

Scott Wong

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Wong
I am a music snob and can't stand emotionless music with no energy or soul. If you want punk rock then put in Jonathan Richman and the Roadrunners or the Clash. Throw that p***y rock away
*LOL!*

I posted this original thread back on January 21, 2003! Ummm... well, at least the reply was done in a timely manner. hahaha. Sheeeesh... does anyone else see anything wrong with another member of the forum doing a search for the words "Simple Plan" and then replying to that post (regardless of how old the post is) merely stating that the band sucks?? :thumbsdown: :rolleyes

Scott.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
does anyone else see anything wrong with another member of the forum doing a search for the words "Simple Plan" and then replying to that post (regardless of how old the post is) merely stating that the band sucks??
Actually I was the one who did that to say that the band rocks. :)

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
well since the thread is here i will also come out and say simple plan sucks hard, and sucks often. even if you really want to listen to poppunk there are tons of bands out there who do what simple plan does better and have been doing it themselves (to a reasonable degree) for a much longer time.

also, how did snapcase get lumped in with those bands? im not a huge snapcase fan and havent listened to anything of them recorded any later than more than probably 5 years ago, but last time i heard them they were an abrasive hardcore band with screamed almost unintelligible lyrics which were borderline political rather than the fart jokes and poor written songs about relationships that blink et al write.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
well since the thread is here i will also come out and say simple plan sucks hard, and sucks often. even if you really want to listen to poppunk there are tons of bands out there who do what simple plan does better and have been doing it themselves (to a reasonable degree) for a much longer time.
:rolleyes

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
hold it dudes, please dont call any of the bands mentioned in this thread punk (with the exception of van patton's post). i understand everyone else on the thread must be about 14 and just getting into music, but it takes about a 2 second history lesson to realize that not only are the ethics of these bands antithetical to what punk is/was, they dont even share any sonic characteristics with punk. its not abrasive, its not nihilistic, its not revolutionary, it doesnt even really have any substance at all. its pop music which has been speed up a bit, they dont even distort their guitars much.

if you like this style of music, i dont care, i even listen to small amounts of it (most older fat wreck stuff like lagwagon and things like midtown's save the world lose the girl, which by the way is the best in genre if you ask me), but lets just call a spade a spade and call it what it really is: pop music. leave black flag out of it.

ps. trying to make an analogy between the beatles and any of these bands only makes you look ridiculous.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I like PopPunk music as much as the next guy (really dislike Simple Plan, but that's besides my point, I do enjoy Blink, Good Charlotte and like David mentioned a bunch of stuff released at Fat) but the best thing about PopPunk, for me, is that researching where it came from got me into the older punk styles of The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones, etc, and even some of the more hardcore styles, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedeys. Also the ska revival of a few years ago (Older No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Reel Big Fish) got me into older two-tone Ska like the Specials.

If you like PopPunk you owe it to yourself to look into the following avenues of music. One check out the old stuff. Go get a Ramones album or a greatest hits. Second, check out indie-lable bands. Fat Wreck Chords samplers are a great place to start (AND they are super cheap.) and I THINK Fat is still considered and indie, but you never know anymore. You may not like it, and that's completely fine, but the best thing about music is getting into new stuff. Sometimes you'll buy a dud, but sometimes you'll find some stuff that you would have never heard of before.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
trying to make an analogy between the beatles and any of these bands only makes you look ridiculous.
I didn't try to do that. I was only asking if the people who trash pop punk would like it if I went into a thread about a band they liked and started talking crap about them. I really don't see the need for people to insult fans of a certain type of music. If they like it, then just leave them alone. No one said you have to listen to it.

Keep one thing in mind, all music is relative.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Well, I'm 33, and I dig punk-pop because I think it's loads of fun and it rocks, not because it's brilliant music. I don't care what anyone wants to call it, there's only two kinds of music anyway - good and bad. I also dig Social Distortion and I bought all of the Replacements discs last year.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm 33, and I dig punk-pop because I think it's loads of fun and it rocks, not because it's brilliant music. I don't care what anyone wants to call it, there's only two kinds of music anyway - good and bad.
:emoji_thumbsup:

That's the way it should be!

JamieD

Supporting Actor
ps. trying to make an analogy between the beatles and any of these bands only makes you look ridiculous.
No, I'd say calling people 14 would do it, though.

Who gives a damn if other people like bands that are now called "punk". What does it matter if they're inferior. The "music snob" does not have a licence to defend/define a style of music, or pull that crap.

Why doesn't anyone keep their snobbery to themselves nowadays, is my question, instead of trying to bring others down while making themselves look good.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
This has to be the absolute worst time in history for music. I feel bad for the kids who have these whiny mall punk bands to look up to. Hip Hop is god awful too. I'm 29 and I think people my age might be the last generation to experience good music. We had the early 90's "grunge" bands and the late 80's/early 90's hip hop to get into. I was also brought up on 70's classic rock and R&B from my family. Now my 11 yr old sister is getting into "Crunk" and all those whining MTV bands.
If not for Audioslave, Incubus, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and Maynard James Keenan, I don't think I'd ever buy another CD again. Same goes for Mobb Deep.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Nothing wrong with listening to some "lite" music on a regular basis methinks. Back when I was in high school (when personal computers used 5" floppy discs and basic CD players cost $1500) many times after listening to my "deep" stuff from Rush or Genesis, I would load up the direct-drive with a Cars or Pat Benatar album to loosen up the atmosphere.

Heck I still do the same thing nowadays, just with different people/bands: Sarah McLachlin then some 311......Death Cab For Cutie then a Thunderball CD; etc, etc.

Because listening to heavy & "important" music all the time makes Lance a sad boy. :D So IMO life is all about balance, know what I mean?

LJ

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Lance,
There is not a thing wrong with any of the bands you mentioned, in my opinion. I love The Cars. I can't listen to Tool all the time or my brain would explode, so I know where you are coming from. Its bands like New Found Glory, Good Charlotte and the all the "The" bands that I'm talking about (The Strokes are awful, I'm sorry, they are not the "next Nirvana"). Hip Hop is no better with all the Southern Crunk crap dominating right now. More than ever rap is missing Biggie and Tupac. I used to buy two CDs a week and now its almost two a year. Aside from A Perfect Circle, I can't remember the last CD I bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks