Simple Man remake by Shinedown

Discussion in 'Music' started by Scott Van Dyke, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

This is most certainly a travesty. I can't believe how badly Shinedown has butchered this rock classic. Has anyone else heard this piece of shit? WTF???

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I heard it on XM some time ago. Not that bad, but the guy just doesn't have the voice for it.

Jason

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I think you're both crazy. His voice is what carries the song. It's incredibly popular on my local rock station and it's an acoustic, so there has to be a reason why and if you ask me, it's the guys voice. The original is great for a reason but if you are going to do a remake, you might as well do something slightly different. It's way better than the Atari's version of Don Henley's "Boys of Summer" which was a complete rip off if you ask me.

4. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

Each to his own, I guess.[​IMG]

5. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

I have to agree with Evan. I like it, and so do 3 or 4 other guys I've talked to about it. I think his voice and the acoustic guitar suit the song perfectly.

At least I don't automatically think about Busch beer when I hear it, unlike the Skynyrd version... [​IMG]

6. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Scott, I agree with you 100% - this is one nasty remake of one of the great rock ballads. I'm kinda pissed at Skynyrd for letting the guy record it. But, no big deal, at least I never have to hear it again.[​IMG] Dave

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The "band" may have had no say as many folks sell the rights to their music. They get a lump sum which seems like a ton of money upfront, but have no control over how the song is used in the future. May be the case with "Simple Man".

I'd like to think that's what happened with "Rock and Roll" since it would be a shame to see Plant and Paige sellout to the Cadillac....