Simple layout problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Peter Doten, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

Dec 10, 2002
    I am moving my (simple) HT to another room and I am somewhat worried about the speaker placement of my front speakers. The wall in question is 12.5ft wide. On the wall I have to fit:
    Desk: ~ 4ft wide
    2 Floor standing speakers: 10in wide
    TV stand: 33in wide
    Sub: 12in wide
    I have thought of two different arrangements:
    Arrangement #1: speaker-sub-TV-desk-speaker. This gives me a lot of separation between my left and right channels but right speaker is about 3ft further from the TV than the left.
    Arrangement #2: sub-speaker-TV-speaker-desk. This ensures that the speakers are equidistant from the TV but being that the speakers sit only a few inches from the TV (which is only 27” BTW) the separation of the channels kind of sucks.

I don't really know what is better from an accuracy standpoint, so I am just looking for some obviously more educated opinions. FWIW, I sit about ft from the TV. Any input is appreciated.
  2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dec 2, 2004
    I think it is a matter of personal preference, but I would go with #2. This way the sound will appear to come from the picture. Subs are also better in the corner. It will also help the stereo effect if you use a surround system. With #1, if there is someone on the left side of the screen talking, the sound could appear to come from off the screen and not from him. I have a 29” TV in my living room connected to my bookshelf stereo above it. Sitting about 9’ back, I still get the stereo effect. If it is not much trouble, experiment.