1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Simple layout problem

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Peter Doten, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

I am moving my (simple) HT to another room and I am somewhat worried about the speaker placement of my front speakers. The wall in question is 12.5ft wide. On the wall I have to fit:
    Desk: ~ 4ft wide
    2 Floor standing speakers: 10in wide
    TV stand: 33in wide
    Sub: 12in wide
    I have thought of two different arrangements:
    Arrangement #1: speaker-sub-TV-desk-speaker. This gives me a lot of separation between my left and right channels but right speaker is about 3ft further from the TV than the left.
    Arrangement #2: sub-speaker-TV-speaker-desk. This ensures that the speakers are equidistant from the TV but being that the speakers sit only a few inches from the TV (which is only 27” BTW) the separation of the channels kind of sucks.

I don't really know what is better from an accuracy standpoint, so I am just looking for some obviously more educated opinions. FWIW, I sit about ft from the TV. Any input is appreciated.
    -Pete

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I think it is a matter of personal preference, but I would go with #2. This way the sound will appear to come from the picture. Subs are also better in the corner. It will also help the stereo effect if you use a surround system. With #1, if there is someone on the left side of the screen talking, the sound could appear to come from off the screen and not from him. I have a 29” TV in my living room connected to my bookshelf stereo above it. Sitting about 9’ back, I still get the stereo effect. If it is not much trouble, experiment.
    Dave