What's new

Simple HK avr 230 question (1 Viewer)

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
For the 230 (or high model) owners...I picked up one of these a couple weeks ago and figured the front display would be covered with a removable plastic film. However, when I went to try and pull the film off, it was stuck on so well that I haven't tried again, because I just figured it was a permanent laminate. Having just visited J&R, I looked at some of the display models and they definitely have the laminate removed. Did your all models have a relatively hard to remove cover? I'm worried that if I go ahead and pull of the sticky cover, I could remove the words on the front display. Thanks,

Rob

JasenJ

Agent
I just bought an AVR230. Yes, the film is on VERY tight. When I removed mine, a bit of the ink from the lettering even came off - very evenly, but made me a bit worried. As far as I know, the only thing the film does is protect the plastic display from scratching. If the look doesn't bother you, you could leave it on.

- Jasen.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. I love to pick at things, so it took a lot of willpower for me to not tear it off when I took it out of the box. Now I know...

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Hmmm that is a change from the HK AVR-225. My 225 was quite easy to take off. When I had the 230 as a replacement for about 2 weeks, the film didn't even bother me as I couldn't tell it was even there.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that that DD & DTS lettering looked a little blurred...then I scraped my fingernail across part of the front and it clearly 'cut' through the plastic covering. Then I started picking at the corner...and decided I should just stop before I really disfigure the thing.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
you'll be fine.

i have a an avr330 and the film might as well have been part of the front display; it was on so tight. the smudge on your lettering is because of the plastic film. if you take it off [with good caution] your lettering will look crisp and clean.

it is actually important to remove the plastic because it throws of the SPL device [ez set] that is included with Harman Kardon's AVR's.

the manual clearly states that the plastic be removed. there is no advantage to keeping it on, other than package/delivery purposes.

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
When I first got my AV125, I thought I might be scratching the actual plastic front panel off. The laminate is very thick and hard but it will come off. The hard part is just getting it started. Once you get a big enough corner piece off to get a good grip on it, it will be a lot easier to remove the rest. It will come off in one big piece. And it looks MUCH nicer with it removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks