What's new

Simple DIY Pre-Amp (1 Viewer)

John Klaassen

Auditioning
I have a little project that I want to try to make a simple pre-amp for. It just needs to have system volume and individual channel volume controls. Does anyone know of instructions somewhere on the internet on how I could do this. I'm going to make it 5 channel, but instructions for 2-channel could just be expanded. Thanks.

--John Klaassen

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
This is fairly complicated, but I would start searching around at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forum....php?forumid=4. The preamp circuit itself is not very difficult, but getting accurate level controls for all 6 channels might be... you might be able to use a 6 deck potentiometer (I'm not even sure those exist) and then another independent potentiometer for each channel? I think most multichannel preamplifiers use a microcontroller switching relays to set the volume with a single potentiometer or rotary encoder. A microcontroller could also provide data input to multiple PGA2310 (I think) IC volume controls.

A 2-channel preamp would be much easier, since getting a stereo volume control and balance control is no big deal.

Try the Danish Audio Connect at

www dot dact dot com/html/applications.html

for a 5 channel DIY preamp.

Replace the dot with a . and remove the spaces. Sorry for a reply in this form but I kept getting an error message saying I have not been a member long enough to post a URL.

Doug

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Aha, it is true that DACT has a 6 channel attenuator (and that preamp too). That's who I was thinking of when I mentioned the multi-deck potentiometer. But that stepped attenuator itself (never mind the rest of that preamp example) costs $400. Holy moly.

Just making a 2-channel preamp, or using a commercially built multichannel preamp, looks better to me. And I can't say I know enough to offer specific ideas if you do decide to build the 6-channel volume control.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There are lower cost ganged carbon/plastic pots available to the DIY builder. Of course they don't sound nearly as good as stepped attenuators.

And unless one needs 'pre-amplification' for a phono section, a 'passive' preamp works quite well for line-level components. And they cost a whole lot less than an active line stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks