Simple CP72 setup questions, but I'm a little confused

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Morgan, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Mike_Morgan

Mike_Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I just received my Panny CP72 the other day. I don't know why, but I'm a little confused on what some of the audio settings should be. I have the player hooked to my Denon 3802 by optical cable AND the 5.1 analog connections for DVD-A. I want the Denon to do the decoding of DVDs so what should my settings be for 'PCM downconversion?' Should I set the DD and DTS settings to PCM, or bitstream?

For DVD-A all I have to do is hit the 'Ext. In' button on my Denon remote to switch to the analog connections to take advantage of the higher bitrate capability right? I run a pair of JBL N38s along with an N-Center and N24s as surrounds, with a Sony -WM40 sub. How should I set them up in the speaker setup on the DVD players menu? Should they all be set to large, or only the N38s?

Thanks for any clarification you guys can give me.

Mike

2. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Mike: If you want the dvd player to do the decoding for all dvds, then I don't think you'll need the optical cable. I think you could just use the analog cables & set the receiver to ex-in. I have your same set up, but let the receiver handle regular dvds and use the analog connection only for dvd-a's. I set both DD & DTS to bitstream & use an optical cable for regular dvds.

With DVD-A, your only choice is to use the ex-in button. (with the exception of alternate dts or dd tracks) The receiver then simply acts as an amplifier as the dvd player decodes the signal.

The speaker settings will have no effect when playing dvd-a's. They will only come into play if you use the dvd player to decode dd & dts. I've never thought about using the dvd player to decode regular dvd's...I paid plenty of money for the 3802 to handle that!

To clarify, here's what works for me:

On the dvd player: I set both dd & dts to bitstream. I ignore the speaker settings. Use both optical and analog connections.

On the receiver: set dd & dts to use either matrix or discreen rear center channel. Use the ex-in for dvd-a's.

The only thing I'm disappointed about with the dvd player is the inability to random play dvd-a's. You can random play tracks, but I haven't figured out how to play just the music...I end up getting interviews, photo galleries, & whatever other extras are on the dvd-a as part of my mix.

3. Mike_Morgan

Gary, thanks for the info. I think you may have misunderstood though about having the DVD player decode my DVDs. I want to do exactly what you are doing and let the 3802 decode the DD and DTS of regular DVDs. That's why I have the optical cable hooked up also. I believe you clarified my questions though on how I need the settings for DD and DTS as far as bitstream or PCM. I thought that I needed to set the speakers up a certain way on the DVD player to get the correct sound for DVD-As though? Since there is no outside decoder or surround circuitry to do bass management then the speakers settings on the dvd player need to be set. Can anyone else clarify that a little better for us? Thanks.

Mike

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,

The player has DD and DTS decoders built in, as well as dvd-a. The bass management options for speaker size only affect the DTS and DD decoders, they don't do anything to the dvd-a output.

In other words, the player's bass management does not work on dvd-a. This is not exclusive to this player. To the best of my knowledge no dvd-a capable player has bass management for dvd-a, and since you must use analog output to the receiver it's bass management won't work either.

Outlaw makes a processor that goes between the player and the receiver that will do the bass management, but I don't remember what it's called or how much it costs. Might try doing a search.

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Mike, just leave the PCM downconversion to "off" and set the DD and DTS outputs to "bitstream". This will allow your 3802 to do the decoding.

As far as DVD-A, Gary and Steve are correct in that you can't really mess with their settings. The CP-72 decodes the info and passes it straight through to your 3802 via the 6-ch analog outputs. There's no bass management or distance settings for it.

BTW, the Outlaw piece is called the ICBM and it goes for around $250...

6. Mike_Morgan

Thanks for the clarification guys. That's how I have it setup, so I guess I'll leave it be.

7. Bryan "C." A.

There are at least two players that do proper DVD-Audio bass management for the ITU standard. The Denon 3800 and Denon 9000. The Kenwood 5900M may also have proper bass management. The Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 does not do proper bass management, but it is inexpensive considering the alternatives listed above and offers flexibility that the others do not if you have to limit the sixth channel. Proper bass management takes into consideration delay time to compensate for differing distances in speaker to listening position and offers variable gain for each speaker to help compensate for echoic and damping factors in the room.

8. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Let me see if I understand what you are all saying here. I just hooked up a CP72 (great machine!!) to my system. You are talking Denon receiver, I know. I have a similar set up with a NAD T751 receiver. I use the receiver just for powering the surround, 3 front channels handled by a B&K 3220 amp.
    Anyway, no digital connections to the CP72.
    Now, when I initially calibrated my setup over a year ago, I set all the delays, etc. in the NAD.
    If I only use the analoag 5.1 input are you telling me I should set the delays in the CP72? The ones in the receiver are bypassed since I am not using digital in? (except for Sat. audio input off my Dish receiver).

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dale,
    If it's like virtually every other reciever on the market, the NAD only amplifies what it receives via the analog 5.1 inputs, so your assumption is correct. The delay settings and whatever bass management settings you've set up in the NAD have no effect on these inputs, so you will need to set this up in the CP72.

The settings in your reciever do have an effect when the receiver is doing pro-logic from a left and right audio input, say from a vcr, but not from the 5.1 inputs.

10. DaleBesh

DaleBesh Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve.

11. Bryan "C." A.