What's new

Simple Connection Question (1 Viewer)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Ok, I've got a REALLY stupid question and I've read the manual without finding a clear answer.

I just picked up an Onkyo 797 and am working on integrating it into my growing system. The issue I'm facing is getting TV audio to run through my HT speakers.

What is the "normal" way to accomplish this? I have a Hitachi 53UWX10B it has an RCA output labeled "to receiver" but I am not too sure where to connect it on the receiver. -I don't have a cable box so my NTSC cable signal runs straight coax into the tube.

The DVD setup was really easy....I don't want to have to buy a thousand cables before I get it right. Can someone tell me the "proper" way to accomplish this....

Additionally, the onscreen menu's of the Hitachi, per the manual are only displayed if you have "monitor" out connected to your TV. I don't have the cable for it yet, but once I do does this input on the TV override everything else? How does that work?

I know these are silly questions but the manual isn't exaclty clear on this topic. Any help would be appreciated.

This is really making me feel stupid.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, dont feel stupid. There are lots of options so thats why hooking things up is a bit confusing.
(There is a "Tweeks, Connection & Accessories" fourm, but since we are here...:))
The more "traditional" way of getting TV sound is to feed the receiver from a stereo VCR or DSS system.
On your TV, do you have a single, yellow RCA plug that says "To Receiver", or are they dual Red & White audio plugs? The yellow plugs are traditionally VIDEO, not audio.
DVD Setup: there are 3 ways of hooking up the DVD player to a receiver. The most common is to run a RCA cable from the Coaxial Digital output on the DVD to the Coaxial Digital Input on the receiver. How do you have yours?
On Screen Menus: Ok, this is confusing so let me start with the basics.
You CAN run audio & Video from every device to the receiver.
The receiver has a "Monitor Out" for video that you send to the TV. You just leave the TV looking at the video feed from the receiver.
Now the receiver controls all the switching.
Many receivers will superimpose some text/menus on your TV when you adjust the volume, or play with an option.
Does this help?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Sorry for misplacing the post......Thought since it was receiver related this was the proper place.
My TV has a red and white output it says "To Receiver" and it IS audio...hence the red and white....But where on the receiver do I connect it? Do I have to burn the audio side of a Vid1,2 or 3 input just for this?
Got the DVD nailed. Using component output to the 797 input and component output from the 797 to the TV. Audio via the DVD to 797 which sends it to the speakers. No problem there.
So if I bring my VCR back into the picture (I removed it as the stack on my TV was getting pretty high) I can run the TV signal though the VCR coax and output to the receiver and "monitor" out to the TV? Does that sound right?
Thanks for your assistance Bob and say hello to "half-pint" for me will you?;)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Stephen - not a stupid question, I just went through this with my new receiver.

While you can use a VCR or cable box, I finally realized I prefer to use the TV's tuner for a variety of reasons, but like yourself, I wanted the option of hearing TV audio through my home theater sometimes. So my TV has audio out which I connected to the receiver's TV audio input. The TV has fixed and variable level outputs - I used fixed since I want to vary the volume with the receiver. So now I can use either the TV's speakers for simple viewing, or the HT's.

Works great.

Additionally, the onscreen menu's of the Hitachi, per the manual are only displayed if you have "monitor" out connected to your TV. I don't have the cable for it yet, but once I do does this input on the TV override everything else? How does that work?
Do you mean the onscreen menu of the receiver? If so, then that would make sense, and you'd have to have the TV input associated with the receiver active in order to see the receiver's on screen menus. This setup makes sense if you route the DVD's video through the receiver as well.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I do the same. Heck, I even enable the TV speaker with the HT sound to fill in the center sometimes when not running a Stereo based 3D effect. Some channels output quality sound...most don't. The ones that make the sub rumble get my vote.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Do I have to burn the audio side of a Vid1,2 or 3
Yep. Thats the idea. Do you have a source labeled "TV/DSS"? Thats what I would choose. Or, run it into the VCR inputs (since you arent using it).

So dont bother hooking up the VCR for this.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Using component output to the 797 input and component output from the 797 to the TV
I don't understand this one. Do you have more than one video source that uses component video? If not, then I don't see a reason to loop to the receiver first, instead of going directly to the monitor. Just an extra connection for little or no benefit.

As for the audio from the TV, it doesn't really matter where you plug it in (TV, vid 1,2,3 etc..), as long as there are a L&R analog input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks