What's new

Simon & Simon Season 2?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
This is UNBELIEVEABLE!!
I'm so happy about this! Kudos to the gang at Shout! for picking up this awesome 80's classic. Hopefully it sells well enough that we'll see the entire series!
Way to go!!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Never gonna happen. I have heard from outside sources that SF looked into it and gave it a pass. I'm told that Gold Monkey is too costly for ANY studio to produce a DVD release...and that licensing it isn't a solution, because then the indie that bought it has to share the profits with original owner Uni. If Uni won't pay for the needed restoration, noone else will either.

That's what has been passed on to me, anyway. I can't vouch for how accurate any of it is, though.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Wow, good news! Don't think SF include any subtitles though, unfortunately, but at least we're getting the show. Wonder if Uni or SF will continue other stalled ones, like "Quincy" and "McCloud" again.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I can wait for February for the second season. I just hope that Universal doesn't wait another 2-3 years before releasing season 3.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Awesome news! I can hardly wait to pick it up. Now if only we can get the rest of other shows that appear to be abandoned that I want: the other 2 seasons of Alias Smith & Jones, the other 3 seasons of Have Gun Will Travel, and the other 4 seasons of The Fall Guy

BobSchneider

Second Unit
You know about a year ago I would have been very excited about this news. I was a fan of Simon & Simon in the 80's and its short syndication run in the late 90's earlier 2000's. That was before what basically amounts to shouts! abandonment of Ironside . They rapidly released seasons 1 and 2 of Ironside and now Nothing . It almost a year sense the last season and the last thing B Ward (I guess there forums mod) excuse for not releasing S3 of Ironside basic "hour long dramas are too labor intensive and we dont have the staff to handle them" WTF? Hmmmm at last count S&S is a hour long drama? Ok so you can start a new hour long drama but not release more seasons of well love cop show that you've already created a buying audience for ? What a load of feces. Yes I also love to see someone pick up NYPD Blue too, but all Im saying guys is dont get your hopes up because SHOUTS! track recorded on finnishinng series is a shaky one at best and at this stage I dont trust them when they publicly post silly feces why they have not yet released S3 of Ironside. They might be the next one and done on S&S .

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Yes this is another major gripe I have with Shout! they have extremely poor retail distribution (ie best buy, target etc.... dont carry ) . If you want to buy a SHOUT! title it online only (ie ddd , amazon ,etc....) which is ok but if its a show I really like series I got no problems with picking it up the first week if the price isnt too stupid (ie 34.00 to 39.00 for a full season). This is not a option for shout releases. And many times now when you factor in price of the set, sales tax, and shipping cost (to get your dvd set in reasonable time and not smashed to bits the risk you run with most free delivery options , read, usps parcel post) it will cost you more than the store retail. I got lucky on adam 12 release ddd kept the pre release teaser price after this tuesday, but thats not always the case.

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Mooney

I guess it all depends on location...my Best Buy had both seasons of Ironside (as of last week, they still had copies of Season 2). I bought both seasons there and was able to use BB coupons to get them for under $30 apiece. Borders and B&N always have them as well, and while their prices are steeper, if you're patient you can usually get a great deal with one of their 40% off TV DVD sales.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Brian Ward is a DVD Producer at Shout!...one of the staff of *2* DVD producers they have there. He does the projects his bosses tell him to do. Shout!'s management made the difficult decision to push Ironside Season 3 to 2009 release in order to get other big titles out in time for Christmas 2008 (notably MST3K, Spin City, Sports Night, Adam-12, Son of the Beach, the final season of McHale's Navy, etc.).

If Brian used those exact words of "hour long dramas are too labor intensive" at the Shout! message boards, I would say he was probably having a bad day and didn't give a really good explanation there. Don't worry, though...Ironside S3 is going to come, so stay tuned and I'll post word at TVShowsOnDVD when things get nailed down.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Well nice to see you had luck finding them . Here in So Cal I went to 3x best buys, 3x targets, 3x curcuit citys (which said who's shout! and we dont carry any "sub labels") Walmart only had the pilot episode package at 29.95:eek: :thumbsdown: . So I bought the ironside s1 online and saw the crazy pre order price amazon had so I got it there instead of bother for the second Ironside hunt:frowning:

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Hey David do you work for Shout! if so tell your bosses a sensible explanation you just gave post on their fans forum would go a long way placate angry (I'm one of them) Ironside fans. Because the news of S&S release just makes them look like stupid liars, like fox has been with the NYPD blue releases for years now. Because if what you say is true they could have easily responded to several threads ask "hey if ironside is delay can you give us a eta , first quater 2009...." but nothing but B ward silly statement hour long are too hate make , which basically sound like all they were releasing in the future is half hour season set.

second who the hell owns shout!? NBC? Universal (supposed to on company now but thats not how the always act) or is a separate company? I'm sorry but to me it make ZERO sense to start up a new titles (hour long ones especially) when you can release more seasons of well love cop show with a audeuice wait buy addition sets ? Honestly I like to belive you but this is the MO of studios look to quietly abandoned series release. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll pass it along, but please consider this: most studios don't talk to fans. At all. Furthermore, most studios don't allow employees, especially someone in Brian's position, to talk to fans. One of the reasons for that is precisely because of misunderstandings such as this one. Brian gave an explanation that was meant to be helpful, and it came out the wrong way. And now fans are pissed. I mean, just look at what you wrote here, and how upset you are sounding about it. So the end result of this, most likely, is going to be less communication to the fans. For the studio, that's gonna be the easiest way to resolve this and make sure it doesn't happen again. Do you ever wonder why so many studios are soooo secretive, and won't talk about (or even hint about) releases in advance? This is why. Right here. This.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Lambert makes a very valid point and this is why websites such as the one he runs, TV SHows on DVD, are so important. It offers fans of television shows firsthand knowledge of the upcoming plans for television shows that are getting ready to be released.

Generally speaking, most studios are secretive in nature where it concerns releases as I believe they consider it their trade secret so that their releases won't coincide with other high profile releases. (Although I could be wrong about this statement).

At any rate, it's mostly newcomers to the forums here who don't understand TV Shows on DVD and it's kind of funny that new memebrs think that Dave and Gord work for the industry. :P

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Simon & Simon is definitely one of my favorite shows from when I was a kid back in the '80s (others include Miami Vice, Magnum P.I. and Hunter). I was pretty excited when I heard about the season 1 DVD set being released and I bought it the day it came out. I watched the pilot episode that night and remembered just why I loved the show so much. The interaction between Rick and A.J. makes the show fun to watch.

Anyway, I put the season 1 DVD set aside and kept thinking about watching the rest of it but was always put off by never hearing anything about season 2 being released. Well, I guess I can dust off my season 1 set and start watching the rest of it now. WOO HOO!

Please release all of the remaining seasons! I promise I will buy each and every one of them!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, mine too, Todd. Unfortunately, I didn't remember much of the show until I bought the DVD set earlier this year. Bought it for $20 through Columbia House.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

Thanks dave for your post . My point is if B ward would have simple posted " Hey guys I know you bummed about slow release of Ironside S3 but shout! is still committed to releasing more Ironside season and where shooting for a tenitive time frame of (1st ,2nd.... quater of 2009)" I could live with that because it makes sense. For three months Shout basically abandoned the Forums SHout! setup for fan input, and the first relpy Ironside S3 was the silly reply, which basically left the impression Shout! was stoping all hour long series due to complexity and they taxed their limit resources. Which now is obviously not the case. So I not asking for the crown jewels but if you invite the public in (ie Shouts! fan forums) atleast post things that make sense otherwise you P.O. alot of your customers.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
i can understand being a little upset, but "bygones" is your friend here. Its like your trying to put a damper on the people excited for Simon & Simon. ;)

BobSchneider

Second Unit
Hey I hope shout! makes nice quality releases of all the seasons of simon and simon but I still want them to re start and finnish Ironside, one of the knocks on Shout! is their past on again off again comittment to finnishing shows just ask anyone whos a SCTV fan. But I'd love to see S&S, Nypd Blue , Kojak, Mccloud, etc..... released by Shout or someone;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks