Simon & Garfunkel Reuniting For Concert Tour!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Peter Kline, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

CNN reports that an announcement will be made in the next few days.

2. andrew markworthy

Am I the only person here who thinks that some things are best left as memories?

3. George See

George See Second Unit

There is no such things as Memories because the big wigs have learned that nostalgia=money.

But Of course on another note there are some of us younger folk who weren't around to see some of these bands live. I saw the Doors reunion tour this year and was very happy, now I know it wasn't the same but really i'm into the Doors for Ray not Jim, so I didn't even miss him.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I read about this a week or so ago, and the angle was that the Everly Brothers would appear on the tour.

Money has been behind a lot of reunions.

5. Peter Kline

Money is behind all tours, whether reunions or current artists. I bet there will be a lot of new songs, not just oldies.

6. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

I was at the Grammys earlier this year when they performed; positively depressing. The only thing that was missing was a taped line on the floor to separate each person's side of the stage.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think this could be good if they work out their differences fully. I would like to see them perform.

8. andrew markworthy

I saw them on their last reunion tour about twenty years ago (it's not like they've never performed together since the 60s) in the intimate confines of London's Wembley Stadium. I can't claim to have enjoyed it all that much.

9. Peter Kline

Simon and Garfunkel Unveil Reunion Plans

By REUTERS

Filed at 2:28 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel on Tuesday unveiled plans for their first major concert tour since 1983, due to kick off Oct. 18 at the Palace of Auburn Hills outside Detroit.

The trek, dubbed ``Old Friends,'' will run through mid-December and will visit around 30 markets. Tickets for some shows will go on sale Monday (Sept. 15).

Shows will find the legendary folk/rock duo performing both acoustically and with a full backing band, which will include drummer Jim Keltner and guitarist Mark Stewart, who played on Simon's 2000 Warner Bros. album ``You're the One.''

``We'd like to stay as true to the spirit of the Simon & Garfunkel period and our work in the '60s and early '70s as we can,'' Simon said. ``If not note-for-note, then certainly we don't intend to reimagine that work. We're going to try to capture it as it was and not alter it.''

Although the bulk of the set lists will be drawn from ``the body of the five albums we produced,'' according to Simon, a handful of songs from the artists' respective solo careers will be featured. Simon said he had always imagined his 1977 hit ``Slip Slidin' Away'' as a Simon & Garfunkel song, while Garfunkel has frequently included Simon's ``American Tune'' in his solo performances.

The pair embarked on a short tour in 1994, but remained apart for the rest of the decade amid reports that relations between the two artists were strained. But after being presented earlier this year with a lifetime achievement award at the Grammys -- which they opened with a rendition of ``The Sounds of Silence'' -- the seeds were planted for a full-scale reunion.

``It's family, the two of us,'' Garfunkel said. ``There has been a deep, buried affection for the last decade or so, and it was the Grammys that forced it out of burial.''

Simon added, ``It was time to just say forgive and forget and move on. Since we seem to be doing this once every 10 or 12 years, I think this is probably the last time that we're going to do this. The performance and the experience is freighted with the potential for something extraordinary to occur. I hope that will happen.''

Garfunkel said the possibility of the duo returning to the recording studio was something he'd thought about ``a little bit, but that's down the line.'' In conjunction with the tour, Columbia will on Oct. 14 release the double-disc set ``The Essential Simon & Garfunkel,'' featuring 32 career-spanning tracks.

Today's announcement was made at New York's legendary club the Bottom Line and found Simon & Garfunkel performing acoustic versions of ``Old Friends,'' ``Homeward Bound'' and ``The Boxer.''

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Is the list of cities online anywhere?

I sure hope they make to Houston. They owe us a show. [​IMG] I had tickets to their concert here during the last big tour in August 1983; unfortunately, an uninvited guest beat them to town that day - Hurricane Alicia. The concert was obviously cancelled and of course never rescheduled.

Sure would like to see 'em on what will surely be their last go 'round.

11. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

12. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

The greatest concert experience I ever had was sitting in the front row center for a Simon & Garfunkel concert in November 1969. I don't think this will even come close, so I will just keep my memories of that concert when they were at their peak.

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Craig, I can't find a listing of dates online, but I am sure one will be posted eventually.

I thought Simon and Garfunkel were excellent at the Grammys. That was the first time I ever heard them. Well, I might have before, but I did not know it was them. I might have to look into some of their albums.

14. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor