What's new

Simon and Simon Season 3 Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I've been wondering whether Shout! Factory will ship to the UK.

Regarding the number of discs in the fifth season set, it should be 6 discs, with four episodes on each disc. This season of Simon & Simon had the highest number of episodes out of any season. After this season the number of episodes per season gradually went down. Worth noting, is that the title sequence was revamped. The shot of the bridge with the "Simon & Simon" logo appearing over it, was replaced by a shot of a yacht in the San Diego marina along with a revolving aerial shot of some boats in the marina (this is based on watching the Season 5 title sequence on YouTube.com).

I'm surprised by the quick release of the fifth season after the fourth season's release on Region 1 last month. Now, if there were to be a three month gap between Shout! Factory's releases of the remaining seasons, the second half of the series should be released by the end of 2011. Based on that theory, and the following is just a guess, this is when the remaining seasons should be released (based on the three month gap between the releases of the fourth and fifth seasons):

Season Five (1985-86): Tuesday 20th July

Season Six (1986-87): October 2010

Season Seven (1987-88): January 2011

Season Eight (1988-89): April 2011

Simon & Simon: In Trouble Again (1995): Reunion TV movie: April 2011 or July 2011?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Props to Shout Factory! for continuing to release Simon & Simon via their website. I have not yet ordered anything direct yet. But, I will here.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I recommend giving some more of their web exclusives a try to give them encouragement to keep doing more (Ironside S3, Room 222 S2 etc.).

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Once again, does anybody know whether Shout Factory ships to Europe?

I´d like to orrder "Simon&Simon-Season 5"!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
No they do not, as they don't have the overseas rights. However, they do sell through a seller on amazon and ebay exclusively (at least until used copies appear) and from there they do ship to Europe.

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

Once again, does anybody know whether Shout Factory ships to Europe?

I´d like to orrder "Simon&Simon-Season 5"!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
No problem. FYI I bought several items from the seller on amazon & ebay and never had any problems (not shipping overseas though).

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

TV_Fan: Thank you for informing me....

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by TV_Fan

No problem. FYI I bought several items from the seller on amazon & ebay and never had any problems (not shipping overseas though).

If you bought TV on DVD boxsets from them with cardboard outer boxes/cases, did they arrive in the post with no scuffs, creases and dents? When buying the Simon & Simon sets from Amazon.com they arrived with no damage, whereas when I've bought TV on DVD boxsets from DeepDiscount some of them have arrived with a bit of damage (scuffs, creases and dents).

I was a bit worried until I read the part of your earlier post saying there is a seller on Amazon and eBay who can ship Shout! Factory DVD exclusive titles to outside of the US. Shout! Factory are doing a consistently good job with their Simon & Simon sets.

If there are one or more fifth season episodes in the upcoming DVD set which are syndicated masters I won't worry, as they've stated on some of the menu screens in the fourth season set that two episodes were syndicated masters, which I knew about previously from reading the season four Region 1 DVD set on here and on TVShowsOnDVD.

Did the "Tonight, on Simon & Simon..." voice change with the fifth season? I watched a Simon & Simon promo on YouTube some weeks ago, from the sixth or seventh season, and the voice was different. Also, did the makers of Simon & Simon change the way they filmed the show in the fifth season (1985-86)? Falcon Crest and Knots Landing in the 1985-86 US TV season changed to filming on videotape (the picture quality was softer, like how Dallas looked from the 1986-87 US TV season onwards).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

If you bought TV on DVD boxsets from them with cardboard outer boxes/cases, did they arrive in the post with no scuffs, creases and dents? When buying the Simon & Simon sets from Amazon.com they arrived with no damage, whereas when I've bought TV on DVD boxsets from DeepDiscount some of them have arrived with a bit of damage (scuffs, creases and dents).

Having bought a lot of used TV on DVD Box sets from Amazon third party sellers, I know one thing... you have to read the descriptions they give. Don't always look at the cheapest seller, look for a reasonably priced one that specifically states that all original materials (outer box, inserts) are included with the sets.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is thirtysomething selling better on Amazon than Simon & Simon? TVShowsOnDVD have added a new news article to their website for the fourth and final season of thirtysomething. And it didn't seem from the article that it would be a Shout! Factory website exclusive unlike the Simon & Simon: Season Five release in July.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Is thirtysomething selling better on Amazon than Simon & Simon? TVShowsOnDVD have added a new news article to their website for the fourth and final season of thirtysomething. And it didn't seem from the article that it would be a Shout! Factory website exclusive unlike the Simon & Simon: Season Five release in July.

I don't know if it's a better seller, but it's shorter.

thirtysomething season 4 is the end. Who's to say that if there were a season 5, it wouldn't end up as an online exclusive the same way Simon and Simon has?

TV on DVD is all about diminishing returns. Supposedly, each set sells a little less than the one before it. Simon and Simon hit that wall after four seasons. thirtysomething never did hit the wall, and the series was short enough that it never had to.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Is front cover DVD artwork for Shout! Factory exclusive titles normally released close to the release date (referring to the 20th July release date for Simon & Simon: Season Five)?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Is front cover DVD artwork for Shout! Factory exclusive titles normally released close to the release date (referring to the 20th July release date for Simon & Simon: Season Five)?

I think Shout will usually put a page up for the release about a month before release date.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Why won´t Shout sell Season 5 like the other four Seasons before?

Why only Shout exclusively?

Were the selling numbers of Season 4 so bad?

I looked at the Shout website and didn´t find an announcement for Season 5.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Yesterday I had an email notification from TVShowsOnDVD about the fifth season of Simon & Simon on Region 1 DVD, confirming the release date of Tuesday 20th July.

Late last night (UK time) a new news article had been posted on TVShowsOnDVD about Simon & Simon: Season Five, showing small 3D artwork of the front cover and side spine, and saying the 1995 reunion TV movie Simon & Simon: In Trouble Again is being included as a bonus DVD extra. The URL link to the news article is below:

Simon & Simon: Season Five (Region 1 DVD boxset) - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article

What's interesting is that Shout! Factory are changing the packaging from a cardboard outer box with the slipcases inside, to one DVD case (like what CBS DVD did with the first to third seasons of Mannix on Region 1). Now, with the reunion TV movie being included with the 24 fifth season episodes, it will be like 26 episodes altogether (if you count total running time of the reunion TV movie the same as the total length of two separate episodes). I hope Shout! Factory make this fifth season set a 7-disc set, with the episodes on the discs as follows:

Disc 1 (1985):

1. Love and/or Marriage (Season Premiere)

2. Burden of the Beast

3. The Third Eye

4. Enchilada Express

Disc 2 (1985):

5. The Skull of Nostradamus

6. Have You Hugged Your Private Detective Today?

7. Reunion at Alcatraz

8. Down Home Country Blues

Disc 3 (1985-86):

9. Quint is Out

10. Walk a Mile in My Hat

11. Facets

12. Sunrise at Camp Apollo

Disc 4 (1986):

13. The Blue Chip Stomp

14. Something for Sarah

15. Mobile Home of the Brave

16. Family Forecast

Disc 5 (1986):

17. A Significant Obsession

18. For the People

19. Full Moon Blues

20. Eye of the Beholder

Disc 6 (1986):

21. D-I-V-O-R-C-E

22. Act Five

23. The Last Harangue

Disc 7 (1986 & 1995):

24. The Apple Dosen't Fall Far From the Tree (Season Finale)

Bonus DVD extra: Simon & Simon: In Trouble Again (1995 reunion TV movie).

Simon & Simon's title sequence got a revamp in the fifth season, with the shot of the bridge with the "SIMON & SIMON" logo on top, replaced by a shot of a marina in San Diego (I'm assuming it's San Diego) with the "SIMON & SIMON" logo on top, followed by an aerial revolving shot round some boats in a marina. This is based on watching the fifth season title sequence on YouTube some weeks ago.

If Shout! Factory go with DVD cases instead of cardboard outer boxes with slipcases inside, for the last four seasons (including the fifth season), is this to save production costs from making the Region 1 season sets? It is a good idea in a way, because if the only way people can purchase this Shout! Factory website exclusive is on eBay and Amazon.com Marketplace, then you won't have to worry about the cardboard outer box packaging getting damaged during delivery.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man

I don't know if it's a better seller, but it's shorter.

thirtysomething season 4 is the end. Who's to say that if there were a season 5, it wouldn't end up as an online exclusive the same way Simon and Simon has?

TV on DVD is all about diminishing returns. Supposedly, each set sells a little less than the one before it. Simon and Simon hit that wall after four seasons. thirtysomething never did hit the wall, and the series was short enough that it never had to.

The interesting thing which has happened since then, was the new news article posted on TVShowsOnDVD recently about the fourth and final season of thirtysomething, saying the boxset will be available (for a time) only on Amazon.com.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I told myself I would not overpay for any more releases and $49.99 + $6.95 shipping/handling seems a tad much here for Season 5. I wish they came in with a price point of $39.99 it would go down a bit better. But they have me here.. as this is one of my all-time favorites. So I guess, I will just have to learn to live with the price.

I was trying to find some evidence of the Shout! select titles coming down in price with time and then I may have waited a bit. I see they have S2-S4 priced at $20 or so. But, I am not sure the same will apply to a Shout! select title in the coming months.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm pleased that Shout! Factory have included the 1995 reunion TV movie in the fifth season set. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I hope they're not cushioning a blow for us with a long gap between the fifth and sixth seasons of Simon & Simon. It will be super great if they release the sixth season before the end of the year. It was the last full length season (comprising of 22 episodes). After that the number of discs in the seventh and eighth seasons will go down (they should be both four disc sets).

Is there any confirmation yet on how many discs will be in the fifth season set? The first season set of Marcus Welby, MD from Shout! Factory was a seven disc set, including the pilot film. I'm hoping that the Simon & Simon fifth season Region 1 set will be a 7 disc set, as if not more episodes will be squeezed onto one or more discs.

Also, will there be any confirmation before the 20th July release date of whether any episodes in the set will be from syndicated masters?

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
actually if you use the Amazon outlet that carries these titles, you cut the shipping down to $2.99. I too wish the price was a little lower, but I love Simon and Simon. And I will buy every season that Shout puts out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks