Similar Documentaries...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, May 18, 2006.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I just watched Carl Saagan's COSMOS on the Science Channel this past week (thanks to my parents Tivo) and I absolutely loved it!

There was a similar program called Planets that aired and seemed to have been produced around the same time (early 80's?) and combined narrative and brief interview segments with some amazingly beautiful photography and video.

I plan to pick up both on DVD this weekend.

I was just wondering if anybody could reccommend similar style documentaries on Space Exploration and our Universe, Planets, Galaxies, etc. that are available on DVD?

I'm less interested in the heavy CGI recreated, talking-head stuff and more in line with productions in a related tone to the ones cited above.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

2. KieranO'C

KieranO'C Agent

The BBC did a series called 'Space' a few years ago. Can't remember much about it, like whether it had a lot of CGI or whatnot, but I do remember it getting good reviews. Of course its the BBC, so what do you expect. I'm sure you'd be able to find out much more about it on t'internet.

Patrick Stewart also narrated a doc as well, but I haven't seen it.

3. KieranO'C

KieranO'C Agent

Sorry: double post!

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

The Creation of the Universe (PBS Home Video)
    With Timothy Ferris and music by Brian Eno

For All Mankind (Criterion)
    Al Reinert - also with music by Brian Eno

To The Edge and Back
    is a fascinating look into the Apollo 13 mission

I also highly recommend the series of DVD sets by Spacecraft Films. While some of these include a documentary feature, the real focus is on presenting raw film footage of launches, flight, mission control and lunar landings. Included are multiple angles and multiple wild soundtracks of radio chatter, using 5 discrete channels in some cases. There are many sets to choose from, focusing on Saturn rockets, Apollo missions, etc.

-Scott