Simaudio ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve_Corrick, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

2. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Brief experience, but will chime in anyway, as it seems not too many people get to hear SimAudio gear...

Heard several SimAudio Moon products at the HE2003 show in San Francisco in June... hotel rooms with crowds are admittedly no place to do critical listening... but the Attraction / Titan / Stellar combo driving Wilson-Benesch speakers (I think) left nothing to be desired... demo was DVD music video... if you're considering the Moons for HT only, I'd suggest similar / equal performance can be had for less money... but if music is equally important to you, they should be auditioned.

Even more impressive was a music-only setup in another room... forget which preamp was used (P3?), but the Equinox CD player and Rock monoblocks were in the chain driving Talon Firebird floorstanders... arguably the best sound at the show... to these ears, anyway.

All of it crazy-expensive, mind you... too rich for my blood... but yes, the Moons impress... and they gotta be the most visually-pleasing components on the planet... again, arguably, to these eyes.

3. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

My Moon I-5 coupled with Totem Forests is like heaven in my room.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've listened to a couple of their music systems and technically they're damn fine equipement that tend to be over built...huge caps and transformers etc.

5. Steve_Corrick

With all of the great reviews I've read on the audio side of Simaudio I had wondered how these products performed on the AV side. To expensive for me to even consider - until I win the lotto [​IMG]
    Actually I am considering an I-5 for a music only system.
    Any recommendations for a 2ch source that would match well with the I-5 and not cost 2k-5K. 1.5K or less would be preferable. Would you go CD only ? or perhaps one of the higher end CD-DVD-SACD-DVD-A units from Pioneer, Marantz or a Philips model without DVD-a support. Speakers will be Polk LSi-9's initially.

6. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

I can't ever justify spending $1500 on a cd player. My Cambridge Audio D500SE sounds amazing with my I-5/Totem setup. Retails for $500 and I picked it up for $350 at www.audiolab.com. It's a great player.

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I listened to the Marantz SA-8260 this weekend, and thought it sounded absolutely fantastic!! It easily bettered the SACD and redbook playback of the Onkyo universal, and Marantz universal players. Unfortunately, there were no other SACD-only players to demo it against. To make a redbook comparison, it was not quite as good IMO as a similarly priced Musical Fidelity CD player that was on hand, but if it was my money, the excellent SACD performance would easily outweigh the difference in redbook playback.

8. Steve_Corrick

Thanks for the comments. Not that I would want to spend 1.5K or more . . . on a CD only player. Just wondered what might give the best bang for the buck in this general price range. I've not really seen anyone make direct comparisons between current higher end redbook CD players and new players of high res disk formats. I already have a reasonably large CD collection of music I like and the choices on SACD and DVD-A are still somewhat limited and redbook should still be around for awhile. As far my musical preferences that are available in a hi-res format, I am better suited by DVD-A but there is a larger library of SACD.
    That's why I am considering one of the 1.5k price range multi format disk players. For my investment I would like to get the best performance in each of these formats. One unit would be nice, but I may go with 2 sources. If I go this route it will probably a redbook CD player first.