What's new

Sima color corrector? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Since I got my Onkyo 595 from J&R, I get their catalogues... and I keep seeing this SIMA SCC VIDEO COLOR CORRECTOR, where you plug S-video in and you can individually adjust red, green and blue levels (as well as white level, black level, tint, saturation, etc.).
Does anyone have any experience with using something like this to correct red or green push? I know this is probably really anal of me, but I think it'd be cool to have RGB dead at 0% on Avia's chart instead of having to back saturation off to eliminate red push.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
While you will be able to adjust colors individually in the Sima Color Corrector, I've found that the SCC adds an unacceptable amount of ringing into the picture.
-Lyle J.P.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll second what Lyle said. And the sharpness
control (on the Sima) cannot be set to fix this artifact.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Not only that, I've found that it drops the 520 lines of resolution I get out of my DVD player down to 350 or so.
Todd

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've never seen a Sima product that didn't muddy the signal. If you want to adjust colour with a capable machine, I'd suggest the Elite Video (not affiliated with Pioneer) BVD-4. I don't have one, but I have a friend who does. You'd have to use it via S-Video. It's primary purpose is for video editing. I chatted with someone who was using it to tweek colours on a hi-end vdeo set-up a couple of years ago though.
www.elitevideo.com
BTW the BVP-4 offers broadcast quality performance. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Chuck Blair

Agent
I own the Elite Video BVP-4 Plus and it is truly wonderful if you use s-video (will also convert composite to s-video, but this is about the only thing this unit doesn't do well). The resolution boost (up to about 10%) works without ringing if not pushed too far. The unit has too many features to list here, but go to the Elite Video website and read the details. They honestly describe what this unit can do to enhance and restore a video image. Everything the Sima does and much more. The one other downside though is the price, around $700 the last time I checked. I think it's worth it. The Malata DVD player I just got and the BVP-4 are the two items in my home theater I would never part with, everything else I could do without since other similar products are available.

J

John Morris

The only thing I use my SCC for is to record DVDs onto SVHS for playback in my kids rooms and in my truck. For that function, it works great.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks