1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Silverline DVD-A's - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert A. Willis Jr., Feb 11, 2003.

1. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I bought a number of Silverline DVD-A's and most of them are pretty bad.

Roy Ayer's Live at Ronnie Scott[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Astrud Gilberto Now[​IMG]
    The Wailing Souls (a reggae group that I generally like)[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You may like the music but I don't think you will like the production. These discs are rip offs. Definitely listen before you buy.

However Curtis Mayfield Live at Ronnie Scott's was a pleasant surprise and worth a listen.[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Robert you echo the general sentiments of most regarding Silverline DVD-A. The lack of discrete stereo tracks and multichannel tracks created from mono and stereo masters adding nothing more then unnecessary reverb characterize their releases. They do a good job on the artists who are under their label for recording contracts, but outside of that it is quantity over quality. My rule of thumb is unless it is an artist that I absolutely enjoy, I will stay away from Silverline at all costs.

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

There are some very good Silverline releases though:

Aaron Neville, Devotion and Believe
    Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin' for the Fences
    Glen Philips Abulum

are examples of Silverline doing a good job. Unfortunately, the gems are few and far between with Silverline.

Regards,

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I only have one Silverline Disc, the Gary Numan one, and it's pretty bad. The CDs and LPs sound better.[​IMG]