silvercats, bluetigers, or outlaw cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I just can't decide! I need 1 stereo pair for hooking up my cd player. The silvercats are by far the most expensive, but is silver really worth the difference over copper? I dont necessarily mind spending a little more if it will be a real improvement. The outlaws are the cheapest but they come in an odd size and they also don't allow returns. What do you all think?

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Chriss, I'm getting my Outlaw Interconnects delivered tomorrow. If you can wait 48 hours I'll post a review. Can't compare with the other two as I have no experience there however. I've heard other posters on this board (especially John Morris) RAVE about the Outlaw Interconnects. If you run a search with his name, you'll find the thread.

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I use almost exclusively SilverCats (standard & Ultra) on my stereo only systems & love them but then a lot depends on whether the rest of your system can take advantage of it. In other words, YMMV. [​IMG]
    PF

4. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Well Chriss, as far as picking the right transmission material, a lot is system dependent. You want to achieve a synergy of all equipment and interconnects. Not knowing what your specific equipment is, it's hard to make generalized suggestions about what materials might be better.

I really like silver, but not in all applications.

Lex

5. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Right now i have Paradigm Monitor 3's, powered by a Denon 3801, and a sony CA70ES cd player. Although i definitely have some serious upgrade-itis so that will probably be changing soon. Im picking up an SVS 20-39 on sunday and I think i'm going to go with Paradigm Studio 40's for the fronts. Seperate amplification and a pre/pro to follow later.

I am worried about the silver cables making my setup sound to harsh, as i already feel it is a little bit "bright".

6. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Chris, the solid silver IC's give more details without being bright. My UltraSilver even brings out better bass. What you are referring to are more with silverplated IC's, I think. Doug may correct me if I'm wrong.

PF

7. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I also use Silvercats for all my DAC/preamp analog connections and they really do an outstanding job. They're very revealing without being harsh or bright.

Unlike Outlaw, Cat does have a great return policy, so you could try them and see what you think.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I happen to agree re the comments on the silvercats but if they aren't for you why not just try a pair of the bluetigers instead? Personally I'd spring for the silver ones though for critical devices like the CD player..for a VCR who cares

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I use Paradigm studio speakers with copper/Teflon based cables and there is no brightness at all. Love the speakers and the cables(interconnect and speaker cables) I use.

I would suggest you go with the BlueTigers(Catcables) instead. Price is good and if it uses Teflon insulation (?)then they should sound really good.

Or one of the following that also use Copper/Teflon:

Boldercables.com

RhinoCables.com

DiyCables.com

10. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Yes Mark, they are teflon insulated.

Chriss, I have heard some people say some Paradigm tend to the brighter side. That said, a copper cable might be the best choice ESPECIALLY, if you already consider your speakers bright.

Another comment. Do you run your speakers with or without grill covers? If without, put them on. If on, some peopel have placed a little piece of foam over the tweeter to take away a bit of the harshness. Just a suggestion.

Just be careful if it's a soft dome, which I don't think it is and put to much pressure on it, wouldn't want to damage it.

Lex

11. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

I don't know Doug. Isn't Trevor using SilverCats b/w his Parasound & Paradigm Ref 100? May be he can chime in with his impression.

I read many times B&W being bright esp with Bryston amps but the Line 3/UltraSilver connection sure doesn't make mine sound fatiguing to me.

PF

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I wouldn't buy Outlaw cables simply because they don't accept returns. That's ridiculous and unprofessional in my opinion, and I don't care how reasonably priced the cables are claimed to be. It's just poor business practice. I considered interconnects from Outlaw, BetterCables, and CatCables, but went with Audioquest Diamondbacks. They are great. However, I am intrigued by CatCables products because everyone who uses seems to love them. I would also considered trying BetterCables interconnects because I have their Premium speakers cables, and they are excellent. BetterCables is on the other end of the spectrum from Outlaw when it comes to customer service. BetterCables offers a six-month return policy on its products!

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Good morning all!
    Chriss,
    If your looking for value in cables, definately give CAT a look... The CopperCats are good,solid cables for the money. I've got eight Blue Tigers going from a Sony SCD-C555ES to my B&K 307 and i am quite pleased. It's rare to get good customer service, a good price and a quality product all in one... usually you only get one or two outta the three. You get all three with Catcables. The only other company that comes to mind that i felt this way about is SVS. [​IMG]