What's new

silver solder (1 Viewer)

Walt Park

Stunt Coordinator
Is it really worth it? I was thinking about this after I built the XO for my speakers.

Everybody concentrates on all the stuff in the signal path down to the level of the solder used.

But then... when you look at the cross over, the caps, resistors and what not all have tin leads.

I made a pair of GR Criterions, and got to listen to the demo pair that's touring. They sounded different, and from what I was told, the demo's had bybee filters and a different resistor value across the tweeter. On some stuff, I liked mine better, and on some I liked the demos. So I'm planning on rebuilding the cross over into the stands and using a prom seat so that I can change the resistor values depending on what I'm listening to without having to open the cabinet. On the one hand, I'm going to be putting a pretty cheap part in the signal path, but I was thinking about it, and compared to the tin leads on all the xo parts, the introduction of a little more shouldnt hurt.

But I really have to wonder about all the stuff that people obsess about in keeping the paths as "pure" as possible when what's inside the speaker is.... less than optimal, even if you use "audiophile" pieces. Plus all the pressure connections in the source, amp, etc make me really wonder if we obsess about stuff in the wrong places.

Jef_DC

Auditioning
Hi Walt,
I had exactly the same questions but decided to try it out.
The silver solder works much easier than regular solder, it flows better and you are rewarded with a beautifull shine.
So even without considering the electrical properties I think it is worth to give it a try.

Jef

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I personally like a silver content also, for solderability, flow and the subjective areas of shiny-clean look and the knowledge of silver's conductivity. Radio Shack used to have a small guage solder with 2 or 3 percent silver. I do question those who use ultra-expensive boutique higher % silver solders, but if they can *hear* a difference, more power to them.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I don't think it matters that the components are made of tin. The solder is connecting 2 points so it should be as conductive as possible.

I'd use 2% because it's cheap. I believe GR research uses 4% silver solder as that's what Danny told me he supplies with the kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks