What's new

Silver or Gold plated RCA plugs? (1 Viewer)

DonnyN

Auditioning
I was wondering which one was better for audio use? The one's that came with my technics1200 are cheap and I would like to replace them with either gold or silver plated plugs.
Also, if it's gold or silver, which brand of plugs or quality plugs should I get?
thanks

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I would advise getting the Radio Shack Gold Series, they cost a few bucks, and you really don't need anything much better than that. Their only (and this is a real) downside is that they are extremely tight, so if your female connectors are flimsy, you could actually bend/break something.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
The technical answer to your question is silver. Gold inflects substantial negative effects on an audio signal, the upside being that it's audible result has a mellow bias. It is used on connections solely because it's a noble metal that doesn't corrode, and an otherwise superior connection will become inferior from possible corrosion. Silver is exceptional for audio signals (though not plated over copper, which is excellent for video signals).
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

DonnyN

Auditioning
Scott:
So silver is better for audio and gold is better for video?
Also, is there silver connectors that possible don't or lessen the corrosion process?
Is the corrosion problematic?
If so, then I'd opt for the gold plugs..
In that case, is there any that you recommend getting? I'm willing to pay for good quality sound signals...
thanks! i know that was a grip of questions, sorry :-P
-

Dan_Myers

Agent
Use the Acoustic Research cables. You should be able to pick them up at Sears. If not their is another chain that uses the Government to strongarm business's off of their land to build a new corporate headquarters that sells them also.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I have to disagree with Scott. It's no secret that Silver is the best conductor. However, it corrodes (develops a layer of signal-inhibiting oxide) relatively quickly, making it unsuitable for connection points that are exposed to air.
You won't find hardly any interconnects out there that have silver RCA connectors on the ends. Those that are silver in color are almost always actually nickel plated copper.
Silver is followed by copper, then gold, for best conductance. Gold is the only of the three that does not corrode, therefore it is the best choice for the connection points. Silver is the best choice for the wire, although the improvement offered by something like the Silvercats or Silver Serpents may not outweigh the cost.
Todd
(Multiple edits due to inability to get coherent thought onto the page. :) )
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on October 02, 2001 at 09:51 AM]
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on October 02, 2001 at 09:53 AM]

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Todd,
You aren't disagreeing with me. At least you didn't contradict me, and I agree with your post as well. I clearly stated that the technical answer is silver, though it's not always the practical implementation.
DonnyN,
Note that opinions vary widely on cables... I try to delineate between the science facts and the subjective 'which sounds better', the latter of which is often debated endlessly in these parts and elsewhere). I consider the science of the cables a foundation for selection and auditioning, and then get subjective.
Is silver better for audio? Most believe that silver wire is exceptional for audio signals. Personally, I would prefer to only use silver interconnects that do feature silver connectors. Todd is correct that the silver connectors will lightly corrode, however, this likely will not occur at the mechanical contact point (where the connector and receptical are touching and the signal being transmitted). The very best silver interconnects and speaker cables, that I am aware of, use silver connectors.
In regards to video, the combination of silver plated copper wire, which is terrible for audio, has excellent results for video signals, in particular S-Video cables. These cables usually have gold plated connectors.
The answer to your second question is yes, those with gold plated connectors.
Next, any corrosion is problematic. Again, the typical silver interconnect corrosion is going to be on the outside exposed part, not the contact area. That area should be properly cleaned before connection though. Also, just to note, the corrosion on silver is a tarnish, nothing major.
Depending on your equipment, I doubt that I would recommend silver interconnects anyway. They are expensive, and I consider everything I just mentioned... If I were buying silver interconnects I would likely try those from Pure Silver Sound. I have heard nother but positive reviews of these true silver/silver connector cables: http://puresilversound.bizland.com/prod01.htm
Btw, I do not have any silver cables, either audio or video. My audio cables are Audioquest Ruby interconnect and Type-4 speaker wire.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

DonnyN

Auditioning
So copper conducts better than gold? Meaning sound quality of copper is superior?
I know this is a tidbit of a problem, but replacing the 1200 RCA connectors with a better quality one will improve my sound overall & that's my aim........
thanks!
any more info would be appreciated :)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I replaced my 20+ year old Marantz 6300 worn out connectors using Radio Shack’s gold phono connectors, IMO this guys are good enough for your application, if you want something better try “Dayton” connectors from Part Express. good luck
Ps. The 1200’s are great TT I used to play daily on them in my old days.
icon14.gif
:)
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showp...DID=7&CATID=39
&ObjectGroup_ID=125

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I've always used cheap old cables from Radio Shack, and I've always received a nice, clear signal. The only cable I've spent more than a couple bucks on was the $65 gold plated Monster cable for my progressive scan DVD connection. If I could go back and redo things, I'd spend $10 on a cheap cable instead. I can't see a visible difference with the "better" cable.
I think you'll really have to try different cables yourself to find out what you like. Everyone has a different opinion on this matter. I personally don't think it matters much one way or the other.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

DonnyN

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies...:::
My final decision:
Gold plated connectors>...??
and
Gold plated cables???
I was wondering, is there a brand i should buy in regards to the connectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks