What's new

Silver/Gold Finishes exclusive to Europe/Asia?? (1 Viewer)

DarrenW

Auditioning
I live in Canada...how come the nice expensive looking finishes are usually not available in North America?

Case in point: the Marantz x200/x300 series are only available in Black in Canada (and the US too, I think)....oh, what I would pay for a gold model!

Anyone share my frustration?

Darren

Kevin T

Screenwriter
depends what you're buying. some of the higher end gear comes with a silver finish option. case in point, the new line of aragon amps and all ead products. just depends on the amount you really wanna spend. but yeah, i feel your pain that most the mass market gear is only available in boring black.

kevin t

Yogi

Screenwriter
The Europeans and Asians are probably thinking why is all the gear in boring and gaudy gold or silver finish....ahhh what would I pay for a satin black finish. :laugh:
Seriously though silver finish does look sexy. I dont know about gold finish though. It kinda looks gaudy to my eyes:)

Ted_Polzin

Stunt Coordinator
I agree.

I am doing my best to get away from black for everything. Speakers, amps and pre-pros. It really influences my buying decisions. Also the WAF factor is much higher on non-black items.

Ted

Yogi

Screenwriter
Also the WAF factor is much higher on non-black items.
In my case its the exact opposite. Our furniture is mostly black: Rack, speaker stands, leather sofa, TV, speakers, sub etc. So my wife wouldn't allow me to buy anything thats non-black. Hopefully when I build my separate HT (in the basement) away from the main living room things might change. But seriously, I am OK with black plus it will mean serious additional $$$ to make the changeover to non-black everything and at this point in life I say to myself that I want to get away from this upgrade mania and enjoy a movie or two for once rather than analyzing the soundstage, imaging and the layers or air around the instruments.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The Europeans and Asians are probably thinking why is all the gear in boring and gaudy gold or silver finish....ahhh what would I pay for a satin black finish.
absolutely! my Marantz SR8200 is gold, the only one available. I would have liked a black one, to go with the furniture dictated by the SO (the so-called "zen" look). fortunately, at least my Mission speakers were available in black, and of course the SVS is black :D

Marc H

Second Unit
I bought a Yamaha RXV3000 in gold almost a year ago and haven't fatigued of it yet.
Looks rather sexy in the low light of my theatre.

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Canada...how come the nice expensive looking finishes are usually not available in North America?
At least two Canadian companies offer silver finishes on their gear - Bryston and Anthem. The Brystons have been available in silver for years, although my 4B-ST is black. My silver MCA-3 looks great, and so does my new (ordered) silver AVM-20.
So you don't have to look all the way to Japan for the nice finishes, we have em right here at home. Eh!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Yogi:

Truth!

but just to clarify, I don't have a real problem with the gold finish of the SR8200, which is more "champagne" than gold, whereas the "gold" of the Pioneer DVD player is a bit "nasty". just that for WAF reasons, a black receiver might have been more palatable to her, not that the current one is a big issue anyway. and in any case the telly is silver (again, only version available) so a gold receiver sitting next to it isn't so far out.

just wondering, are TVs and plasmas in the US also in "boring" black? or silver like they are here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks