What's new

Silver DVD player rant..... (1 Viewer)

TonyGricar

Agent
In attempting to upgrade my DVD player, I've become amazed at now having to throw "Color" into my criteria list. My newly built HT features the equipment rack as a central design feature, as art, and all componentry is black.

God forbid some Flavor of the Month design guru deems "Metallic Pea" as the next can't miss color.

"You think you hate it now, but wait 'till you watch it..."

-Tony, who's favorite color is, ironically enough, silver.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I gave up on it..

I tried for years to keep it all black...

Now I added a decidedly silver HDTV, and HDTV OTA Tuner to the mix.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah,everything I own is black...When it's time to upgrade it's going to be hard to keep it black.

I have been looking at the HK avr230 (which is part silver)
to replace my avr110 (all black)
...I'm sure this is just the beginning...

I'ts going to be hard trying to stay "on the Dark Side"
:)

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Wait a few years, it'll go back to black. In the 70's and early 80's everything was silver. And I'm refering to real metal silver, not this plastic looking silver stuff. My circa mid 70's Pioneer 8100 integrated amp and 7100 tuner, basement workroom 2 channel rig, still look as good as the day I bought them. I'm glad some companies like Denon are giving the consumer a choice. I wonder how long that will last and why more manufacturers don't offer a choice. My guess would be $$$.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I could go either way. Black or Silver wouldn't matter but when it comes to making equipment choices color is pretty far down the list for me.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
I totally agree Jim. The performance of a piece of equipment far outways the color. The most important consideration is the way it sounds, not the way it looks. However, for some the WAF does come into play quite often.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Well "Silver" has been great for a friend of mine who owns & autobody shop because as soon as Sony came out with the silver Wegas he's sprayed a ton of them BLACK or Dark Gray for an awful lot of people. ;) So it's just not you Tony that can't stand these silver components. I myself especially hate the silver colored tv's but I'm still living with a Proscan Silver/Gray DVD Player in a sea of black components. :frowning:

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Black appears popular for receivers and VCRs, but silver has been taking over for DVD players, only a few like Denon and Onkyo have all black DVD players. HD STBs are all silver - so its nearly impossible to get keep a rack all one color now so I've given up. I have black components on the left side and silver components on the right side!

TonyGricar

Agent
as i had stated in the opener, all of my other equip is black, which is why it matters. to further it, my newly finished room (pics coming soon) features a built in equip rack, which, on the back of it, is a closet that i framed out in the laundry room. the room side features the components flush-mounted in a custom piece i made. it's a 4 x 6 sheet of mdf that's had a positive radius added to one side, and a matching negative to the other. since the room is char-grey, i wanted a slight punch of color, which is why the mdf piece is being done in a screaming red lacquer job. soooooo.... all the equip is black and one silver piece would bug the hell out of me.

as for the proliferation of silver tv's, i wonder if that makes it stand out more in a dark room? my toshiba rptv is dark grey and completely disappears when the lights are only dimmed and the tv is on. call it a poor man's movie screen.

tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks