Silver Components, UGH!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by GregC, Jun 30, 2003.

1. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

I am getting fed up with these dvd vendors and their silver/mirror sheen components. I want nice inconspicuous black components not some light reflecting thing shimmering in the light of the movie!

Have now rejected the XP-30 and 50 for that reason AND I hear that the new Pio 563 all-in-one is also going to be silver. It seems that black is now relegated to the low end of the product line.

C'mon vendors, stop making your "quality" components out of mirrors! Black ... please come back!

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Two words: Smoked Glass

That'll work for everything but a TV (like my Sony Wega).

I am planning to (eventually) build in-wall racks for my gear, and install sliding smoked glass doors. Should deaden the silver glare considerably, while still letting enough light through for reading LCDs and passing through IR commands.

Personally, I don't like my stuff to call attention to itself. I'd prefer everything be out of view.

I agree, though: Bring Back the Black.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I like siver just fine. I like chaum-paiiin gold even better. I'm sick of black! [​IMG] Best wishes!

4. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Black is beautiful.

Most components are not exactly prize-winners, aesthetically speaking... and to me the silvers and platinums only make that more obvious.

Black at least allows the boxes to recede in the background a little.

Not to mention that cool Darth Vader thing goin' on...

6. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

Since silver componentry in mass market lines such as Panasonic, Sony, Philips, etc. came as a result of Sony launching its Wega line of TVs in silver and the other TV manufacturers following suit, perhaps now that Sony's XBR900 series of TVs are being released in black, that trend will change back to black again. Then again, Sony's own line of ES line of receivers and DVD players are released in silver only in the U.S., so maybe it'll be a while before black becomes the "in" color again.

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Give me BOTH. Choice is the best option of all.

8. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

I'm all for choices — as long as black is one of them.

9. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

I think Silver/gold on "cheap" plastic gear look horrible. Silver/gold amps always looks weird to me. Thou the silver Marantz MA-9S1 AMP looks good.

I think all metal Black/Gold/silver looks good on higher end items with good looking top covers with metal or wood side panels. (Pioneer HLD-X0/9, Yamaha RX-V1, Pioneer Elites) I also like Sony's old 1992ish heavy gunmetal grey look with deep cherry side panels (EDBeta, old SVHS VCR, MUSE/BS decoders)

10. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

At least the "Alienware" theme hasn't invaded HT yet. Coming soon, a snap-on lime green tv frame to match your polkadotted green and silver receiver.
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, I'm all for color-- as long as black is an option.

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm with Doug, give us the choice. At least with JVC flat tube tv's you have a choice. I'm just waiting for Sony to go all black again & standout on the showroom floor among all those silver models & when that happens all those silver tv's that everybody bought are going to look real outdated.

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Come, gather 'round and let me tell you of audio components I once had—ones with front panels finished in gold-anodized brushed aluminum. And then there was McIntosh's black-glass front panels with blue-green illumination of all the controls (wait! They still do that).

I've said Sony's original WEGAs would soon appear dated. And now the venerated line is going back to where it belongs. (Sorry. Lapsed into Beatle lyrics. The WEGAs never were black-tinted.)

13. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    In the far east (Orient), most of the nice components come in gold. Black is mostly reserved for grungy[​IMG] black. The Sony ES components I've seen for sale on Hong Kong sites were gold. I once bid on E-bay on a Marantz 9200 reciever that was gold. I forgot where it came from, maybe Australia, but it did run on 120 v. It looked good! Yeah, I think we should get a choice... Gold is my signature colour, when available.

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The problem with champagne/gold/silver is that different manufacturer's colors can clash really badly. My Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 looks absolutely awful when placed near my Technics DVD-A10. Black works a lot better as far as matching.

15. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I guess I'm in the minority. I would actually like to see more silver components, especially mid- to high-range receivers. For those who prefer an industrial / minimalist look to their surroundings (such as myself), silver, IMO, works better.

The best compromise would be making both silver and black components available in N. America. The consumer market is sufficiently large enough to support both colours (no champagne, please [​IMG] )

16. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Here's another vote for black although I do find the tiny bits of gold accents on my Panny RP91 to be quite appealing.

Unfortunately, my Philips 963sa only comes in silver, and I'm still learning to live w/ this flaw (among others). [​IMG]

_Man_

17. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

Silver components were just fine in the "old" days ... sitting in the dark listening to the "stereo" and staring at the lighted (blue if you were cool) gauges. Those times have passed. Now, any stray light/reflection degrades the movie experience by drawing your attention away from the picture.

For a time it seemed that manufacturers were giving us a choice of silver or black. Recently, it seems that a particular model is now only one or the other. This is America. We demand the right to Choose! You listening Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, et. al.!

18. James R. Geib

James R. Geib Stunt Coordinator

Im in the 'Let's have a choice' camp.

I own a silver AVM20 and a silver MCA50 amplifier. It looks very classy in my living room, and that is a part of the 'wow' factor for me. My speakers are finished in Rosewood, and everything looks very impressive. Hey, I spent hard earned cash on this stuff. It should look impressive even when the power light is out. (I'll take my Ferrari in Ferrari Red or Yellow please!)

Then, when the lights are dimmed and the movie starts everyone forgets what color my premplifier is. We all simply get sucked into the movie because the sound quality is, well, excellent!

I would love to get a universal DVD player in silver without breaking the bank on a Lexicon RT10, EAD, Krell, etc. It does seem most of the top components are silver. Makes you go "Hum!".

Having a choice would be best, as most components are manufactured in multiple finishes anyway. Different finishes are simply destined for different countries.

19. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jeff Rowland Design Group
    Ayre Acoustics
    Classe` Audio
    Theta Digital
    EAD

None of these are "cheap plastic"... all of these are available in silver, some of them in black as well.

Personally, I prefer silver, but to each their own. High praise to those manufacturers that offer the option.

Regards,

20. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But, John, sir, those are ultra-high end OEMs from whom one expects lavish cosmetics. What about the common people, the proletarians, the rank-and-filers who possess Ferrari-influenced aesthetics but must work with a Yugo budget? I'm talking about us, the workers who built this Forum, we who live and post and die in this town, all dreaming of gold champaigne-tinted front panels with heavily machined knobs but are left with cheap plastic table scraps (and are only now recovering from faux "wood-grain" tints on metal chassis). The inhumanity of it all ...